PDA

View Full Version : Re-introduction of CAS at Prestwick

ecj
20th Sep 2003, 22:02
CAA website has details of the Prestwick Control Zone and Control Area - effective 30 October 2003.

jack-oh
21st Sep 2003, 02:04
It states on the CAA website that CA was withdrawn from around Prestwick in the mid 1990's due to a fall off in movements, but has been reinstated because of a recent rise. This begs the question, what is the required number of movements for the introduction of CA and over what period of time is this figure judged? Personally I think its a good idea, the amount of Mil training ac in that area has always been a cause for concern.

21st Sep 2003, 02:21
I'd like to see a comparison of Prestwick traffic against Bristol International traffic....Bristol also used to have links to CAS, now long since disappeared.

21st Sep 2003, 04:34
Interesting point, that; seeing as I was very bored I looked it up (all figures are for 2002 from the CAA website).

Total ATMs (scheduled + IT) are:

Prestwick 15280,
Bristol 47809.

As a comparison, Teeside (which has had a CTR for some time) has 11526!

I think that the problem at PK was that they had no controlled airspace at all (at least GD has a CTR, even if it doesn't connect to the airway system - for which I'll have to take your word) and an awful lot of military traffic on their doorstep.

22nd Sep 2003, 14:32
Many Thanks.....staggering figures. Problem for controllers is the 250 knot speed limit below FL100, not an insurmountable problem I know, but sometimes we area types can't set up arrivals as we would in an ideal world; correspondingly we can't easily fit outbound joining traffic into a gap until their speed picks up......minor points, but we could offer a better service if we had more flexibility. The old airspace used to join the old Green 1 at Chepstow....can't remember the other one.

pikman
22nd Sep 2003, 15:23
Could it possibly be that PIK gets linked to the airways system by virtue of the happy coincidence that we happen to be sat directly beneath the Scottish TMA?
Perhaps GD would prefer that our CTR stopped vertically at 5000ft thus forcing aircraft to leave CAS in the interest of fairness!:=