PDA

View Full Version : Monitored Approaches

JetPlan
23rd Nov 2000, 19:27
Other than BA, Monarch and B. European are there other airlines that use monitored approaches as their SOP? I am particularly interested at what stage handover of control is made to the 'non-handling' pilot, and when on the approach it is taken back. Any input would be gratefully received to help support some work I am doing for my airline.

Thanks.

veewunrotate
23rd Nov 2000, 22:36
Monarch only do monitored approaches when either the cloudbase drops below 1000' or the vis reduces to 3k. Non handling pilot takes over when he or she is happy that they are not only visual with the runway, but can maintain visual contact with the runway. The absolute latest that the NHP can take over is at DA/MDA.

Mr Benn
24th Nov 2000, 03:04
Air 2000 do monitored approaches if there is ANY cloud within 200' of MDA/DH or the viz is low. However, generally if it looks like it might end up being Cat 2 or 3 weather then a monitored approach will often be briefed and flown anyway.
FO is always handling pilot for monitored approach. Control is handed over prior to briefing, which generally means before TOD.
The FO will brief the descent/approach.
FO looks in, Captain looks out. FO makes all the calls. At decision, Captain calls either land or go-around. If its go-around, the FO maintains control and flys the missed approach. If the call is land, the Captain takes control and flys the final part.
UNLESS its a Cat 3b no decision height, in which case the Captain takes control on main gear touchdown.
If a monitored approach is started and it is obviously reasonable weather then the Captain will call visual a lot earlier, and if still at a safe height and the FO is happy, the FO can continue with a normal approach to land, Cat 1, if it was his sector anyway.
So
FO always flys the approach
FO flys the go-around
Captain takes over at the "decide" call if the call is land
If Captains sector, FO given control prior to TOD
If FOs sector, FO stays as PF

Hope that helps.

Seems to work.

m&v
24th Nov 2000, 03:17
Canada 3000,and Canadian Air Force do 'managed 'approaches,Capt takes over when visual

Mr Moustache
24th Nov 2000, 14:32
Crossair do something very similar to Air 2000 except that our limits are 800mRVR and or cloud below 300 ft. In these cases we are obligated to do whatever approach which gives us the lowest minimums. If available this will be a Cat 3a for the RJ fleet.

JetPlan
27th Nov 2000, 00:44
Thanks for the replies, particularly Mr Benn. I know BA flies them all the time fair or foul weather. It would seem odd to have a procedure which is invoked only when the weather is bad and the 'monitored' routine might not come naturally when the chips are down.

flap_actuator
27th Nov 2000, 01:12
Jmc use monitored approaches only when conditions are near limits. ie. 200 ft cloud base within DA and 1000m RVR from minimum

Seems to work, however you do it so little it calls into question, that when you do it , can u remember how!