PDA

View Full Version : insurance issue against safety

Zagor
14th Sep 2003, 08:48
I have been told that in case of one crew incapacitation the remaining pilot would call the crew purser to assist him/her.

I asked why in the pasengers many question frequent flyers profile not one airline is identifing anyone with Aereonautical (above general knowlwdge) skills.

I am a business passenger fling 1-2 times per months. I am very well known by many pilots, I flew 90% of my travel in the "front office" before 911 and had my personal training in A340 and B747 real simulator .
All of them agree that I would be the perfect assistant been capable to undestand better than a purser any fase of the flight.

However since safety is an insurance issue not a pilot issue (says a prfessional pilot) I/we that are seriuous aviation entusiast/ virtual pilots/ flight simulation hobby people would probably deny to enter an aircraft if detected how much we know about airliner, instead to be welcomed as a potential and better Back Up resource in critical situation on board.

Than's is the down size ot the resoult of the 911 politics to avoid the responsability to detect before the flight (bad guys) 9in order to implement the easy safety solution to put two (sometime questionable) pilots into an armored safe box.

As Aviation anthusiast I and believe all my fellows friends soffer to fly nowadays.

And when A purser see in my lap top the flat panel of a 747 400 I have to lay that I am a flight engineer to have my fun to remotely and virtualy fly the airplane. Is ridiculus.

BlueEagle
14th Sep 2003, 13:12
When crew are travelling as passengers they are known to the operating crew if not by name and face then by seat number and in the event of an incapacitation they are likely to be approached first to help.

The airline has to have in place a system that will work anytime and cannot rely on the possibility that there may be a pax or positioning crew onboard who could also help. For this reason a member of cabin crew, (not necessarily the Purser on some airlines), may be required to read a checklist, for example, once the incapacitated pilots had been secured. Those airlines that use this system will train for it, something that cannot be done with passengers, no matter how keen they may be.

All pilots of multi crew aircraft are taught and regularly practise crew incapacitation which involves the aircraft being safely landed by the one remaining pilot, some operators do not use cabin crew to assist in this.

As previously mentioned, each airline has to have in place a system that it knows will work with the rostered crew available.

As far as profiling goes a passenger could claim aviation experience just to gain access to the flight deck in order to hi-jack the aircraft.

Zagor
14th Sep 2003, 15:40
Thanks Blue eagle,
All that you says make a lot of more sense.