PDA

View Full Version : LBA spacing

chrisleeds2003
9th Sep 2003, 00:35
I saw something this morning on a train from Guiseley to Ilkley in north-west Leeds, the line runs basically adjacent to the flightpath for LBA r/w 14. I noticed a Jet2 737 on final with gear down, about 4/5 miles away from the airport. Then about 3 minutes further down the line, I see another Jet2 737 on final, with gear down, can't have been further than 5 miles between the first plane and the second one.

I'm intrigued as to how LBA could cope with two landings so close to one and other, due to the lack of a parrellel taxiway, or can 737s make high-speed taxis down the 9/27 r/w?

timmcat
9th Sep 2003, 05:11
As you were travelling away from the airport, there was obviously more than 3 minutes seperation - I'm not professionally qualified to comment, but sounds like more than enough to me.

I've seen some fairly rapid exits into 09, but more likely a turn into the North / South taxiway would suffice - i think.

682ft AMSL
9th Sep 2003, 05:11
B737s landing on 14 can usually make the left directly down delta. Even going slightly past would involve only a 180 and a short-backtrack.

Spitoon
9th Sep 2003, 16:03
The minimum spacing that has to be applied by ATC is 3 miles (for wake vortex purposes). If you could see the aircraft then, in all probability, so could the controller in the tower - IFR separation if it was needed would likely be achieved using one of the reduced separations permitted in the vicinity of the aerodrome. So no problems on separation.

Maybe the first aircraft would have difficulty vacating the runway before the second one gets to the threshold - but you say they were landing on 14? I don't know Leeds but can't they vacate onto Taxyway D? If so, the second could probably be given a 'land after' - or was it wet in Yorkshire yesterday?

Even if someone's plan didn't work out there are plenty of procedures to keep it all safe. All in all, it sound like a normal busy morning at a regional airport. ;)

galley-wench22
9th Sep 2003, 16:40
Was this yesturday about 1230ish.... early afternoon time?

If so, I was at work yesterday, saw two Jet2's land one after the other. The first one had almost reached the stand just as the second one was landing. From Bergamo and Nice I believe.

LateLandingClearance
9th Sep 2003, 16:50
I'm going to stick my neck out here with some maths and wait for someone with an axe :D

If they passed you 3 minutes apart, doing roughly 160-130kts then your looking at nearer 8nm between them. Should be plenty of time to get off the runway.

chrisleeds2003
11th Sep 2003, 05:14
It was about 12:30. Must've been those planes.

Almost deafened while playing footy in Yeadon today, when a Ryanair 732 took off... small plane, big noise. :)

steamchicken
15th Sep 2003, 21:41
Speaking of LBA, an amusing incident...I'm watching cricket from Headingley in the bar of the local, my lady at my side reading the paper on a Sunday afternoon. On the screen, the camera suddenly decides to follow a BAe146 passing overhead on the 32 approach. The Lady looks up, sees the telly and freaks - "God! Have they gone to war with Iran?"

Recognition classes in order, perhaps...