PDA

View Full Version : NZ CAA jack up on B737NG Differences course.

Hudson
8th Sep 2003, 18:59
Heard on the grapevine that New Zealand CAA will not accept a Boeing 737NG differences course conducted by either Qantas or GECAT in Hong Kong. They will only accept the course done by Boeing (Altheon) in Seattle. Does anyone know why this is so?

CT7
8th Sep 2003, 19:06
Strange!!
I didn't know the NZCAA knew the difference!!

swh
8th Sep 2003, 20:40
Hudson,

There is no 737NG's on the NZ register so it is impossible to hold a 737NG rating on a NZ licence.

If you have it on an Australian licence you can get it put onto your NZ licence using the TTMRA forms, under the TTMRA the NZ CAA cannot prevent you from holding the rating if its on your Australian licence (note this still requires a 737NG to be placed on the NZ register).

S

Lapsus linguae
9th Sep 2003, 03:19
Shortly to come on the register with NM.

56P
9th Sep 2003, 05:00
The GECAT course in HKG is actually more comprehensive than the one offered by Alteon.

MoFo
9th Sep 2003, 07:02
Sounds like public servants wanting a trip to Seattle to "approve" the course.

stillalbatross
9th Sep 2003, 07:57
swh, I think if they stick it on your nz licence from an aussie one then they will put "issued under ttmra" on your licence and claim it is a conversion to stop you trying to fly overseas on a nz licence with the NG type rating. Under the guidelines of the ttrma IT IS NOT A CONVERSION FROM A FORIEGN LICENCE so legally the caa in nz can't call it this, but it doesn't stop them. Casa have already been dragged into legal battle with NZ Caa by some aussie pilots when NZ caa refused to honour the ttrma.

swh
9th Sep 2003, 08:43
stillalbatross, I agree with what you are saying, if you tried to put the A320 on the NZ licence that was on your Oz licence they would tell you the same story, sorry none on the register. Kiwi use to fly A320s from NZ to Oz but they were S7 registered. This will change when ANZ gets them online this year.

nzer
9th Sep 2003, 09:11
No formal application has been made for recognition of the course referrd to - it's that simple - not a big conspiracy.

CT7
9th Sep 2003, 18:01
NZER,

So what you are saying, is if we, the pilots, paid 4 Uncle CAA to go to HK &/or the new complex in Brissy, they might credit it? And therefore gratiously allow us to pay them some more money for the numbers on our Lic. Yes?

nike
10th Sep 2003, 14:38
CT7 - nothing gets by you.:ok:

ZK-NSJ
10th Sep 2003, 15:42
air nz maintain a lot of ng's though virgins/air pacifics etc

and swh... there are ng's on nz's register, pacific blue has 3 -800's

Hudson
10th Sep 2003, 22:03
To clarify. A recruiting agency in NZ is hiring people for a 737 operation and part of the deal is that you must have an NG rating.
So people that are interested and already have a 737 Classic rating look around for a differences course and settle on GECAT and/or Qantas. Then the recruiting firm is told by NZ CAA that that is not acceptable and that they will only accept a differences course done by Boeing in Seattle. Why therefore is GECAT and Qantas NG differences course considered no good for CAA NZ?

Is this a typical bureaucracy problem or are the GECAT /Qantas courses not considered to be up to the standards required by NZ CAA?

ALLBLACK
11th Sep 2003, 23:12
heard the story through friend , hey NZCAA always jump in to conclusion , C***s dont understand that other countries too have a good foundatio for avaition. cannot even leave closely with CASA, may be CASA should teach the NZCAA

Prop

CT7
12th Sep 2003, 04:02
Have NZ caa actually said why they are being typical :mad: and the reasoning behind this sudden knee jerk reaction?

I mean, hey, why should NZ caa help with the employment of NZ pilots over others.....

Maybe letters to our local MP's???

aerostatic
12th Sep 2003, 04:26
I think nzer is right. The CAA have only audited the FlightSafetyBoeing course so that is the only one they recognise. Not saying it is necessarily right though - ie if the course is approved by a foreign authority (FAA etc), why isn't that sufficient?

nzer
14th Sep 2003, 13:49
Thank you aerostatic - at least one balanced person in on this discussion - NO authority "automatically" accept a course except by an exchange of agreements, and it MAY involve an audit - QF would almost certainly be approved as of right under the TTMRA - BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE APPLICATION - if you are all to thick to grasp that then maybe you shouldn't be flying.

Kanger
23rd Sep 2004, 13:23
Having established that the CAA effectively recognises only Alteon at the present time, would anybody know what is the price of the 737-NG differences course in Brisbane with Alteon?
How does this compare with Alteon Seattle/Miami etc

Thanks
Kanger

Morwheus
23rd Sep 2004, 14:43
Hey swh

"There is no 737NG's on the NZ register so it is impossible to hold a 737NG rating on a NZ licence."

I have NG on my New Zealand Licence and have had it 2000....so you revisit your rule book guys. The NZ CAA arent making it difficult...they are saying that Boeing is the only ground school they currently approve. Its not rcket science! how many conversion schools around the world do they have to sit on to satisfy everyones budget.

There may be other ways...think outside the box. I had to and it worked. Look at the TTRMA and other NZCAA approved licences. If you really want the Ng on your NZ licence you can do it. I did it ...I used it.!

Good luck
morph

Sqwark2000
23rd Sep 2004, 20:05
There is no 737NG's on the NZ register so it is impossible to hold a 737NG rating on a NZ licence."

So the 3 B737-800's registered in NZ are not 737NG's ????

ZK - PBA, PBC, PBD all registered to Pacfic Blue (NZ) Ltd.

Have I missed something here?

S2K

BCF Breath
23rd Sep 2004, 20:25
I think if you look at the dates S2k, you'll see that they are last year.
PB's came on after that.

Re the Alteon Course:
The B737CL to B737NG Differences Course runs for 4 days. The course consists of the first day being Computer Based Training (CBT), days 2 and 3 are a combination of 3 hours CBT and 3 hours Fixed Training Device (FTD) which is in the simulator with the motion off. Day 4 is a 4 hour Full Flight Simulator session.
The cost of this course is $6,820AUD including GST.

hughgoagogo
23rd Sep 2004, 22:56
ETA in Melbourne has NZCAA approval to conduct and issue B737-300/800 type ratings to NZ licence holders this includes NG differences.
Check out there website www.etaisnow.com
:ok:

Morwheus
24th Sep 2004, 02:13
There you go guys

Good luck:cool:

Morph

Kanger
24th Sep 2004, 09:29
Thanks folks!
The info is highly appreciated.

Apart from PB, are there any other firms that one would need the NG rating over the 737-300/500 for in the OZ/NZ area? Unfortunately the FAA/CASA/CAANZ NG training itself is 'useless' for the JAR region..... 500 hrs later on type it then becomes possibly a different story ;)

cheers
Kanger

BCF Breath
24th Sep 2004, 09:56
Polynesian and Air Pacific (Fiji) also operate the -7/800 into NZ.

Yeah, don't ya just love that Euro C&*p.

Kanger
24th Sep 2004, 10:05
Thanks.
It is sometimes a little frustrating....
cheers
Kanger

Jet Man
24th Sep 2004, 19:28
There are at least three B737NGs on NZ reg that I can think of (ZK-PBA, PBC, PBD). Some of the Pacific Blue pilots transferring from B737 classic have completed the conversion to NG in Melbourne. I can find out the name if anyone is interested. Oops - already mentioned above!

Rainbow Flyer
25th Sep 2004, 23:32
My B737NG differences course was done at GECAT in HK. The NZ CAA promptly issued me with an endorsement.
Where does all this rubbish come from?