PDA

View Full Version : SEP rating

carbonfibre
7th Sep 2003, 19:22
My SEP has lapsed by 2 months and want to regain it, do i have to do a complete the test again or an hour or so with an instructor?

I had flown reguarly upto that point, medical issue kept me from flying for a couple of months, i hold a CPL!!

All answers on post cards please

:ok:

mad_jock
7th Sep 2003, 20:17
You have to do a normal skills test which is the same as a ppl test but they miss out the nav bit.

One day over even if you have done the 1 hr with an instructor and just havn't managed to find a PPL examiner to sign the bit of papaer you still need to do the test.

MJ

BEagle
8th Sep 2003, 02:21
mad-jock, no it isn't the 'same as a ppl test but they miss out the nav bit', what carbonfibre has to do is to fly a SEP Renewal LST with an Examiner. No IF, slightly fewer stalls, slightly fewer circuits and some items are 'optional' rather than 'mandatory'.

This can be completed in around 45 minutes if it goes well; the Examiner can sign your Certificate of Revalidation/Renewal immediately afterwards and the CAA fee is...........nothing! (Unless you've let it lapse by more than 5 years, that is).

carbonfibre
8th Sep 2003, 16:20
THanks for the replies all, will get on it immediatley, just wondered what i was letting myself in for.

:O :ok:

mad_jock
9th Sep 2003, 00:51
I have had students tested on IF in the renewal. Which apart from being good practise is why included it in any work up I do with them.

So you can be asked to do anything in the ppl skills test apart from IF and Nav at the examiners discretion?.

If so if you prepare for everything apart from NAV you ain't going to get any shocks to the system.

MJ

pickingupice
9th Sep 2003, 01:59
absolutely can be tested on nav on any reval or renewal.

should be done more often aswell, considering the amount of lost and aispace infringements.

the amount of incompetent pilots on navigation is manifold

BEagle
9th Sep 2003, 03:41
Well, all I can say to that is that some of my fellow Examiners need to study the Examiners' Handbook and the various Standards Documents. Because what you say is totally wrong and is NOT REQUIRED for a basic SEP revalidation or renewal by test.

However, not a bad idea to include some VFR navigation and/or IF in the 'dual training flight', perhaps?

pickingupice
9th Sep 2003, 07:01
Perhaps some patronising idiots could turn up to the JAR FCL seminars and tell the CAA that they are incorrect! As that is what I have in a policy statement, in Writing!

We all read standard docs and the examiner handbook.

We also read the biggest killer in the last 10 years is CFIT. Any fool can read the gasils and see how many pilots report lost, those are the ones that own up to being lost.

Surely it’s the duty of you examiners to prevent this happening, not just taking the £150 signing the licence and log book and running.

Perhaps even signing by telephone is OK, depends how big their checkbook is!

BEagle
9th Sep 2003, 16:07
Which 'JAR-FCL seminars' might those be then? Or do you mean the FI seminars? Which are run by service providers, not the CAA.

My view is that it is an extremely good idea to conduct navigation refresher training or IF refresher training during the 'dual training flight' - that, after all, is the whole idea of that flight - training!

Whereas the re-validation LPC or renewal LST for the SEP Class Rating should only be conducted in accordance with Schedule outlined in SRG\1157.

Keygrip
9th Sep 2003, 20:52
madjock and pickup - have you considered "Regulation 6" when demanding that a candidate for a renewal/revalidation should be tested (and possibly "failed") on items that are not required on test?

mad_jock
9th Sep 2003, 23:46
I don't examine aprt from that the CAA has forced me into the situation that I have to for the 1hr with an instructor.

And if someone has a link for a document for what is actually required for a renewal, I will be more than happy to educate myself. I don't have access to an examiners handbook so I can't look it up there. As I have said previouly most instructors only have access to the back page of the renewal form.

I do make the students get the IF on and usually take them somewhere and spring on them that they have to find the airfield by whatever means at the end of an hour. If they make it back without panic either by Radio beacons, VDF or DR I don't care. If they don't and are lost, they usually request a XC.

MJ

Sleeve Wing
10th Sep 2003, 00:23
I make no further comment other than agreeing totally with what BEagle has offered relating to test requirements.

BUT, Pickingupice, I do take grave issue with the allegation that X's are casually charging £150.00 for revalidating SEP(Land) !
That is certainly NOT the case in my experience. In fact, West London Aero Club include the cost of a revalidation in the Annual Membership fee.

Sleeve.

mad_jock
10th Sep 2003, 00:43
£150 for a renewal.

Sounds like some backdating has been going on the cover illegal flying.

MJ

PS sleeve thats sounds a most sensible method of dealing with keeping the lic current.

machonepointone
10th Sep 2003, 02:47
Sleevewing,

The practice of the West London Aero Club of including the revalidation fee in the annual membership fees sounds wonderful - were it not for the fact that a SEP rating is valid for two years. Sounds like a rip-off to me.

mad_jock
10th Sep 2003, 03:30
I currently get it signed off every year after I do my IR renewal.

Who knows what the next 12months will bring.

With any luck I will get a dream job then wouldn't be able to afford 12 hours in the last 12 months and then the SEP would lapse.

I would advise everyone to do this if it dosn't cost anything to future proof yourself in case of sickness etc.

MJ

paulo
20th Sep 2003, 04:58
pickingupice:

I think any prospective candidate would like an explicit answer, so please:

Does the CAA expect the candidate to prepare for Nav evaluation for the test?

Yes or no?