PDA

View Full Version : Travel after Flying Duty Period?

TeeS
5th Sep 2003, 19:42
Hi, just wondering what the norm is for pilots working at an away base and then travelling home (in the U.K). I am typically thinking of a 10 to 12 hour FDP, 1 to 4 hours flying and perhaps 2 to 3 hours drive home, back well before midnight and following day off.

Do you have a taxi, self drive hire car, overnight accommodation and a travel day or some other option?

Thanks

TeeS

Pilot Pete
6th Sep 2003, 01:58
My company provide transport from home base to away base/ hotel and return, plus, after the last duty period, if it gets back very late at night will put you in a hotel for a full rest period before ferrying you back to base.

I think duty of care comes into it after incidents like the Selby rail crash. I also know that pilots and cabin crew have been killed in car accidents after driving home from night flights.

PP

Pilot Pete
7th Sep 2003, 18:30
Hey Dip,

Things not changed there then? Should get the CC onto that one!:ok:

PP

redsnail
7th Sep 2003, 19:51
Your company should provide you with a taxi back to your home base. What you do after that is your own business.

expedite_climb
8th Sep 2003, 15:30
I believe the CAA state that hire cars after or before flight duty are not appropriate.

TeeS
15th Sep 2003, 18:07
Thanks for the replies so far - what I am really trying to clarify is the general view on using taxis to position home after a long(ish)FDP.

Any further responses would be a big help.

Cheers

TeeS

Big Tudor
15th Sep 2003, 21:15
Scheduling agreement states positioning immediately after an FDP is not permissable if the total duty period will exceed 16 hrs (18 hrs on the day). If the duty period would exceed 16hrs then hotac will be provided.