PDA

View Full Version : Do Nigels have to bid farewell to PAX?

regor
2nd Sep 2003, 18:11
Having flown with BA over the weekend, I was impressed that upon deplaning, the Captain stood with the Cabin Crew to bid farewell to his PAX. This was repeated on the flight home, where the F/O appeared as well!

Is it BA policy for the flight deck crew to do this? Or are they just waiting for the PAX to get off so they can also leave?

I would have thought they would have had better things to do, but either way it left a good impression.

Localiser Green
2nd Sep 2003, 18:45
This is very common in the states for domestic flights at least. I flew a few trips out there on US Airways and United and the First Officer (usually) was always at the flight deck door saying farewell to the passengers on deplaning. These flights were all 737 / minibus so boarding / deplaning was always from 1L, not sure if this would work on a 757 where 2L is commonly used.

Certainly a nice touch though, albiet perhaps a tad unnecessary.

DSR10
2nd Sep 2003, 18:56
Even more impressive is Japanese domestic where the complete ground crew stand to attention and wave as the a/c leaves the stand

TopBunk
2nd Sep 2003, 23:56
It is generally encouraged at BA. Certainly the Airbus Fleet is big on it. Not so big on the 744 fleet - it is difficult to get past the pax and down the stairs to the doors even as heavy crew!

NigelOnDraft
3rd Sep 2003, 00:46
<<I would have thought they would have had better things to do>>
Not really. The one left in the Flt Deck can do the paperwork, make any radio calls to company etc.

<< but either way it left a good impression>>
That's the idea...

If they have their hat on as well, it's their annual Route Check.

In general, more keen to come out if the landing was good... and hope someone noticed!

NoD

regor
3rd Sep 2003, 01:08
Topbunk - Good point, although it would be fun to see the Captain rush past all those passengers who cannot bear to stay in their seats once the A/C has stopped.

For clarity, I should have said that I was onboard a 737.

The F/O did manage to raise a smile with his mid flight PA by announcing that the time was 10.30 when in fact it was 12.30. I knew jets were fast, but capable of time travel.............

He must have been prodded by the Captain, as he corrected his announcement shortly after.