PDA

View Full Version : 2Rnav or Not 2Rnav

YFlex
1st Sep 2003, 23:33
The VOR is "off the air"...which happens to be the transition/via IAF for the STAR.
Using IRS navigation can you still proceed "drct to" via FMS and conduct the STAR via RNAV? (nav accuracy-high/positive)

If "so", then can all RNAV equip'd a/c fly RNAV arrivals/dep. without the assoc. navaids being available (with a high and positive nav. accuracy)

:uhoh:

Max Angle
2nd Sep 2003, 01:05
Well in theory we can but it is my understanding that no UK registered aircraft are allowed to fly pure RNAV arrivals (ie. a route made up of points that are not defined by a radio aid) and approaches that take the a/c below sector safe. Geneva now has such a procedure and we don't fly it unless it's VMC.

It's less to do with the accuracy of the equipment than with the accuracy and integrity of the database and the information used to produce it, don't know what other countries allow.

Intruder
2nd Sep 2003, 01:54
In the US many Arrivals and Departures are now "overlay" procedures where FMS waypoints overlie fixed navaids. In airplane with the proper equipment and certification can legally fly the overlay procedure even when the navaid is out of service.

However, some carriers have authorization to fly FMS arrivals, but not FMS/GPS final approaches (navaid still required).

411A
2nd Sep 2003, 04:21
Alaska Airlines so far as I know was the first US carrier to use Rnav/GPS approaches without any ground aids at all...and they seem to do quite well, in very difficult terrain.

BN2A
2nd Sep 2003, 19:01
Doesn't everyone (from Britain anyway..) use RNAV in and out of Faro??

Also, into Malaga, the Martin VOR has been out of service, replaced by point BAMAR. Last time I went, we went to BAMAR, but our box of tricks in the cockpit used MAR VOR... Guess you can use a point that's overlaid...

:8