PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous safety seminars

Onan the Clumsy
30th Aug 2003, 02:42
Has anyone got any good stories about safety seminars they attended that they would have been better off avoiding?

I went to a fly in one once. The problem was that several hundred people flew there also - different equipment, different experience levels. They were landing southbound and I approached from the South. I had to extend the downwind - by about five miles :uhoh: just to fit in with the current traffic. We were turning base over a local lake and final on the far shore of the lake, which was ok, except that we were now about ten degrees off the runway heading.

I followed the preceeding trafic and when I got to short final, he was still rolling out. I certainly didn't want to go around, and I had someone right behind me so couldn't slow down too much. I had to float for a while and still landed just as he was clearing the active.

Then the 'safety seminar' turned out to be mostly a sales pitch for Garmin and the man giving it suggested that we use a 430 slaved to a 530. I looked around the ramp and all I could think was...that'd cost more than a most of these aircraft - without the installation.

It was a waste of time really.

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Sep 2003, 09:53
No replies? :bored: I thought it was at least worth a reply.

lomapaseo
3rd Sep 2003, 21:27
Your reply is reflected in the number of views without being ragged on:O

DEEZEE
15th Sep 2003, 03:57
Did attend a CAA safety event at the local flying club several years ago when the CAA chief medical officer stood up to make a speech & a PPL in the front row had an epileptic fit, talk about bad timing:ooh: