PDA

View Full Version : Notebook plug in on BA 747's

airbuslad
28th Aug 2003, 18:29
Does any one know or have any recommendations on what type of power adapter I should get to power my notebook while on board BA's 747's

Cheers

davethelimey
29th Aug 2003, 17:42
Make sure that it ISN'T the cigarette lighter version - i.e. the kind of plug that you would fit into your cigarette lighter in your car. American Airlines and US Airlines have these plugs, BA has the newer kind.

Also, I have never flown on BAs 74s, but on 777s, economy class doesn't have said sockets, so make sure you get upgraded!

Thunderbug
29th Aug 2003, 17:46
Airbuslad

The answer is on the BA website under "Your Questions"

It basically says:

What are the specifications around the British Airways on board 'at seat' power supply for use with laptops, etc ?

Answer
Currently we have two systems providing PC power 'at seat'.

The first is a DC based system. The system provides +15VDC and is capable of delivering 75 Watts of power via a hypertronics connector mounted at the seat.
The DC system is being installed on our long-haul fleet and is available on the flat bed First Class seat, on the flat bed Club World seat and on the World Traveller Plus seat. For information, our entire fleet of Boeing 747 aircraft (Jumbo Jets) have been installed, and over half of our Boeing 777 aircraft installed. (we expect to have 100pct of our 777 aircraft fitted by the end of summer 2004).

To use the DC system, there are a number of adaptors available commercially that come supplied with the correct connector for the seat. The adaptor BA recommends, and one that has been tested for use on board aircraft, is the new DC to 110 VAC Inverter made by Teleadapt. British Airways sells this model on board in the 'Shopping the World' catalogue, whose web site can be accessed by clicking here .
The Teleadapt adaptor delivers 110V AC via a standard 2 or 3 pin US or European socket making it universal. The Teleadapt unit allows the customer to plug in their standard lead.

The second is an AC based system. We have fitted 10 of our new in-service A320 aircraft with this AC based Next Generation PC power system. This system features a US/Euro style 2/3 pin socket delivering 110V AC fitted to all Club Europe seats. This system allows the customer to plug straight in without the need for special adaptors. This system can also deliver a maximum of 75 Watts power.

T'bug

airbuslad
29th Aug 2003, 21:15
Thanks for the replies gents.