PDA

View Full Version : WX Radar Operation

concordino
24th Aug 2003, 21:15
Hi All,
Interested to hear from experienced pilots about WX radar operation.
The standard formula I was taught is

Tilt angle = 5.5- ((Flight level)/selected range)

However there are times when the radar isn’t set well and thus this formula doesn’t always work.
I’ve been told to tilt it down till you receive ground echoes then raise the tilt gradually till you get reasonable echoes for what you can see out the window.

Still I would like to know more (especially in night operation)
Your inputs are well appreciated.
Many Thanks

411A
24th Aug 2003, 22:28
On new(er) aircraft, the tilt angle may be more precise, so the formula might work, but generally find that with the older radar equipment, tilt down 'til ground returns are received, then up a bit.
On the TriStar, about two degrees down on the dial at (for example) FL330 was about right.
Of course, you can scan the height of the cells as well, but this takes a bit more experience with the particular equipment to be properly done.

alatriste
25th Aug 2003, 00:58
A good rule of thumb that usually works (depending on particular aircraft) is for a FL between 300 and 350 select range to 80NM and tilt down 2 degrees, all echoes that remain in the screen at 40 NM should be considered closely, reducing to a closer range and playing with the tilt.

concordino
25th Aug 2003, 05:33
Thanks you for your tips, I fly in the FL180-240 bracket any hints in particular concerning this FL band.
Cheers

Johnman
25th Aug 2003, 06:27
Concordino
All the information you need you'll find in the Wx radar manual , try to get a copy of the type of radar you have on your aircraft as it will provide you with very useful information.