PDA

View Full Version : Danger of Falling out of the Aircraft!

jafo33
24th Aug 2003, 00:00
No, not drunk, but because my company has removed the built- in steps from our cargo aircraft.

So entering the plane involves either clambering up a loading ramp (hopefully when its stopped) or a climb into the doorway by grabbing the doorframe and hoisting yourself up.

Getting out is a good drop down to the ground. Its a prime situation for someone to slip backwards on a wet night, from several feet up, whilst climbing in. This could easily result in broken bones, fractured skull etc.

The company tells us its a weight saving measure but the gain is so minimal it probably does not alter our max freight load or range.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on how to get these steps replaced before a serious injury results. I've considered emailing the CAA and HSE but wanted to get an opinion or two here first.

SAS-A321
24th Aug 2003, 00:21
Well, I don't know what type of aircraft you fly, but it sounds as if it is pretty high up! If someone fall and hit the tarmac in a bad way they could easily get serious injuries or even loose their life!
I think you should go ahead and email the authorities about your company putting money before your safety!
In the company I am training with (one of the worlds largest shipping companies) they put safety before anything else.
Even though it is dark age for the airline industry it doesn't give anyone the right to not put safety as the no. 1 priority!

BlueEagle
24th Aug 2003, 10:58
Strongly suggest you submit an objective report as soon as possible to CHIRP (http://www.chirp.co.uk/) , you can download the required report form from this web-site and submit it either by mail or, I think, fax and they also have a telephone contact number.

BlueEagle - Moderator.

jafo33
24th Aug 2003, 18:50
Great idea, I'd forgotton about them. I'll send one out to them now. However, do they have any power to make the company change things?:confused:

witchdoctor
27th Aug 2003, 15:30
You could always make a formal request to see the risk assesment carried out to determine that this is a safe system of work. Probably not going to make you massively popular wid da management tho'.

RatherBeFlying
28th Aug 2003, 04:46
Handy piece of climbing equipment (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=667845&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=14223&bmUID=1062016388695)

You will need to find a solid piece of structure to hook it to -- preferably with locking carabiner.

Oh yes, when climbing down, DO remember to release ALL steps from the velcro as stepping directly into the bottom loop when still held up by the velcro will result in a more rapid descent than desired:ouch:

Onan the Clumsy
29th Aug 2003, 06:27
Or better still... (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_main_climbing.jsp;jsessionid=1OBeeh1oMetI2oo1ZoFd6KK 1O5hapMCS0lhkOjkpK3WU9atwB1fI!442655872!170918944!2003!7002!-2068755162!170918943!2003!7002?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=667923&bmUID=1062109481000)

Miserlou
31st Aug 2003, 06:04
You could take the dive yourself, feigning a sprained ankle or the likes, and let them sort out the cost analysis of delayed flight, standby crew and all the rest.

Then afterwards ask if it might not be better to put the stairs back!

HZ123
1st Sep 2003, 15:48
One of our CC fell out of the rear of a 737 at MAN some years ago and sustained serious injuries. That person has not worked again and as result operating instructions forbid opening / closure of a/c doors without steps on the door. In addition as part of H & S we are fitting nets to the doors during long turnarounds / enigineering etc.