PDA

View Full Version : air rage? .......

hobie
30th Nov 2001, 22:40
this happened about 3 weeks ago ..... it doesn't matter where the airport was but the "Biggie" was about to commence a west bound transatlantic flight ...... an Airbus 330 was waiting for line up clearance with a small aircraft on approach and about to land ...... the small aircraft decided to overshoot the runway and go around ..... the airbus was given clearance to line up and then cleared for take-off ......... after take-off and during climb out the airbus called the Tower and said .......

Quote ......
" I feel I should mention this ....... What are you running here? ..... an airfield or a flying club ....... " .....

.... he then went on to complain that he should have been given priority and the smaller craft told to turn away from and make another approach ...... further remarks were made re. The fuel consumption of a large passenger jet waiting on the ground versus a small aircraft ......... about this time the Airbus had reached hand-over altitude and control was passed to another controller ..... while all this was happening the same tower controller was handling another landing aircraft ... a 737 followed by an L1011 and then a fully laden 47(freighter) ...... the 747 missed the normal runway turnoff and had to roll to the end of the runway and turn around and back track to the exit ...... this caused a five minute delay for two more west bound airbuses waiting for take-off ........ some time later a Galaxy on route from Germany to the U.S. diverted ...... a full emergency was declared as the Galaxy had reported smoke in the cockpit ........ the plane landed safely amidst a full turn out of emergency teams ......... I'm only telling you this because I felt so sorry for the poor Blxxxx air traffic controller but also, the airbus ..... what a great start to an atlantic crossing