Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Gatwick-2

Old 7th Oct 2020, 09:32
  #1181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 32
Perhaps as Gatwick is in such dire straits, a change of use to a Cargo centre for someone like Amazon could be more feasible? Two empty hangars, one empty terminal and presumably empty coffers mean you need to get whatever business you can! If Stansted can make it work then why cannot Gatwick?
brianj is offline  
Old 7th Oct 2020, 21:41
  #1182 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 39
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
Assuming that, in these straitened times, a buyer can be found for them ...
Aren't they leased from the airport authority?
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2020, 16:50
  #1183 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 1,845
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot View Post
Aren't they leased from the airport authority?
The land they are built on is on a historical long term land lease. The hanger 6 is owned by BA. BA gave up the original third hanger in 2013.
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2020, 22:16
  #1184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: england
Posts: 274
I think GH6 hangar lease runs out in the early 2030's. BA were holding onto it in the hope of prising some new facilities from BAA / GAL. Not likely at the moment. As to the previous hangars, No1 was the 1-11 hangar which became the MT base, No2 was workshops, No3 was 707 VC10 and latterly DC10, Not sure about the wooden No4 but burned down one night when I was working on the ramp! The other No4 was the Airtours hangar which carried out L1011 and 737 work. No5 was for DC10s. The only one left is No6 the old Laker hangar. OSU had a short stint in No7 after Dan Air and prior to Virgin taking over. there were also various lines of 737 and 757 major maintenance at times. Thats how I recall it since the 70's!
yotty is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2020, 22:32
  #1185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: No longer welcome status
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by brianj View Post
Perhaps as Gatwick is in such dire straits, a change of use to a Cargo centre for someone like Amazon could be more feasible? Two empty hangars, one empty terminal and presumably empty coffers mean you need to get whatever business you can! If Stansted can make it work then why cannot Gatwick?
Amazon like areas of high unemployment and low wages. Neither fits the Gatwick area if the airport grows again.
racedo is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2020, 22:57
  #1186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 39
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by yotty View Post
I think GH6 hangar lease runs out in the early 2030's. BA were holding onto it in the hope of prising some new facilities from BAA / GAL. Not likely at the moment. As to the previous hangars, No1 was the 1-11 hangar which became the MT base, No2 was workshops, No3 was 707 VC10 and latterly DC10, Not sure about the wooden No4 but burned down one night when I was working on the ramp! The other No4 was the Airtours hangar which carried out L1011 and 737 work. No5 was for DC10s. The only one left is No6 the old Laker hangar. OSU had a short stint in No7 after Dan Air and prior to Virgin taking over. there were also various lines of 737 and 757 major maintenance at times. Thats how I recall it since the 70's!
Hangar 7 was the FLS hangar? That went to BA for a time too. I remember DC10s and B747-200s there.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2020, 02:46
  #1187 (permalink)  
ZFT
N4790P
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Asia
Age: 70
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
Amazon like areas of high unemployment and low wages. Neither fits the Gatwick area if the airport grows again.
You sure about that? Unemployment seems pretty awful in the area.
ZFT is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2020, 04:56
  #1188 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 7,901
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
Amazon like areas of high unemployment and low wages. Neither fits the Gatwick area if the airport grows again.
Gatwick must be different from Luton then as wages there were being driven down long before Covid by ever lower tenders for contracts. The companies winning the contacts would save money by putting many staff on zero hour part time contracts.
LTNman is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2020, 09:00
  #1189 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: england
Posts: 274
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot View Post
Hangar 7 was the FLS hangar? That went to BA for a time too. I remember DC10s and B747-200s there.
You are correct as usual Skip, Hangar 7 was Dans then FLS then became OSU ( a BA department) then Virgin.
yotty is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2020, 14:11
  #1190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: London
Posts: 161
BALPA have put out a press release about a proposed downsizing by Norwegian at Gatwick. I can’t see an official announcement by Norwegian.

https://www.balpa.org/Media-Centre/P...ownsizing-by-N

BALPA General Secretary Brian Strutton said:

“This news is devastating for those affected and BALPA will do everything within its power to support its members, to avoid compulsory redundancies, reduce the number of employees to be dismissed and mitigate the consequences of any dismissals.

“These latest proposed job losses are yet more evidence of the devastating effect COVID-19 is having on global aviation. If the Government fails to act to support the sector, we will see more job losses as airlines are decimated.

“The Government promised weeks ago that it would look urgently at measures like Airport COVID-19 testing to help retore passenger confidence, but we are still to see any action in this area. The Government has let down the industry, its employees and the travelling public in this regard. UK aviation is in a death spiral and this is a disaster for the whole economy.
nguba is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2020, 14:27
  #1191 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 4,123
I imagine there will be more articles, but this from Norway might give a starting point - consultation taking place over substantially reducing the Gatwick base
https://finansavisen.no/nyheter/luft...-base-i-london
https://e24.no/boers-og-finans/i/LnA...ge-london-base

Update - if you want something in English:
https://www.cityam.com/norwegian-air...ort-haul-base/

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 9th Oct 2020 at 14:59.
davidjohnson6 is online now  
Old 9th Oct 2020, 18:25
  #1192 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: No longer welcome status
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by ZFT View Post
You sure about that? Unemployment seems pretty awful in the area.
Now it is BUT it is the same in many areas. Pre Covid the unemployment rate was low and jobs reasonably plentiful such that employers were struglling for people. In a years time it might be back to it.

Crawley has a huge number of delivery type companies (as well as the Tesco dark site) who send the stuff out and Amazon coming in would take people from there but to compete businesses would up wages so it becomes a fight for higher pay. Little loyalty is not what an employer wants and challenges on pay.

racedo is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2020, 18:27
  #1193 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: No longer welcome status
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by LTNman View Post
Gatwick must be different from Luton then as wages there were being driven down long before Covid by ever lower tenders for contracts. The companies winning the contacts would save money by putting many staff on zero hour part time contracts.
Manor Royal close to Crawley has hundreds of businesses employing thousands, they and airport are major employers PLUS you have Brighton etc all in easy reach.
racedo is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2020, 18:45
  #1194 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 39
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6 View Post
I imagine there will be more articles, but this from Norway might give a starting point - consultation taking place over substantially reducing the Gatwick base
https://finansavisen.no/nyheter/luft...-base-i-london
https://e24.no/boers-og-finans/i/LnA...ge-london-base

Update - if you want something in English:
https://www.cityam.com/norwegian-air...ort-haul-base/
Following some of the team on Instagram, are Norwegian at Gatwick still self handling with Red Handling? Odd for such a truncated operation, would have expected a 3rd party handler to have been a must with no economies of scale now.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2020, 19:56
  #1195 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Surrey
Age: 32
Posts: 158
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot View Post
Following some of the team on Instagram, are Norwegian at Gatwick still self handling with Red Handling? Odd for such a truncated operation, would have expected a 3rd party handler to have been a must with no economies of scale now.
Omniserve are the parent company of red handling, so they themselves are 3rd party. They are also the same company who operate as blue handling at stansted.

DHL are operating the same for EasyJet.
strawberry Ribena is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2020, 22:01
  #1196 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 39
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by strawberry Ribena View Post
Omniserve are the parent company of red handling, so they themselves are 3rd party. They are also the same company who operate as blue handling at stansted.

DHL are operating the same for EasyJet.
Oh that's really interesting. Thanks.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 17:11
  #1197 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 98
LGW long haul changes for W20

Per the latest Airlineroute updates today, there are a number of changes which will affect LGW long haul operations this winter, mainly:
  • Norwegian: Flights to BOS, DEN, LAX, MIA, JFK, MCO and SFO will now not resume in December as originally planned, with resumption now pushed back to 28th March 21. At this time, all other routes to EZE, GIG, AUS, SEA and TPA will continue to be suspended beyond this date.
  • Emirates: Resumption of flights to DXB will now not resume in December as originally planned, with resumption now pushed back to 28th March 21. Down to just one daily A380 for S21.
  • Cathay Pacific: Daily service to HKG tentatively scheduled to resume from 1st Jan 21. A359 operating.
Do LGW insiders know if GIP/GAL have (tentative) plans to reopen the South Terminal in time for summer 21? Presumably, if and when CX and DI return, they will be accommodated in the North Terminal temporarily before moving back to the South Terminal?
JW95 is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 10:29
  #1198 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Under the flight path
Posts: 2,312
https://www.travelmole.com/news_feat...ews_id=2044725

Travel Mole report on BA at Gatwick.
LGS6753 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.