Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Cork-6

Old 6th Sep 2018, 07:32
  #101 (permalink)  
840
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ireland nowadays
Posts: 1,380
I donít think thereís any great stream of Cork people up to Shannon any more. Because of the motorway link and very regular bus services, Dublin seems to be the second choice now. The same applies in reverse. Only really in North Cork and West Limerick are the two airports really competing these days. Thatís only a combined population of 150k.
840 is online now  
Old 7th Sep 2018, 22:58
  #102 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,455
Hearing runours of good news on Wednesday, nothing amazing but noteworthy at the least.
AerRyan is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2018, 11:08
  #103 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Leeds, UK & Cork, Ireland
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by AerRyan View Post
Hearing runours of good news on Wednesday, nothing amazing but noteworthy at the least.
An additional summer bucket and spade route or two, I guess. Maybe a winter once weekly Geneva?
brian_dromey is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2018, 11:21
  #104 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1
Perhaps just replacing another bucket and spade route.
EI-A330-300 is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2018, 13:55
  #105 (permalink)  
840
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ireland nowadays
Posts: 1,380
Seeing that a similar post went up in the Shannon thread, I wonder if it could be a based Aer Lingus Regional aircraft in Shannon, which would mean no more Ws out of Cork, so a bit of solid if unspectacular growth on UK routes.
840 is online now  
Old 11th Sep 2018, 09:29
  #106 (permalink)  
840
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ireland nowadays
Posts: 1,380
A day early, but I guess it’s the news.

Ryanair to fly to Malta twice weekly.

Its not clear is this actually Ryanair or is it one of these occasions that they will be selling tickets in Air Malta.

Air Malta used to operate to Cork a decade or more ago.

Timings do imply that the aircraft is Malta-based
840 is online now  
Old 11th Sep 2018, 13:14
  #107 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: shannonIreland
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by 840 View Post
A day early, but I guess it’s the news.

Ryanair to fly to Malta twice weekly.

Its not clear is this actually Ryanair or is it one of these occasions that they will be selling tickets in Air Malta.

Air Malta used to operate to Cork a decade or more ago.

Timings do imply that the aircraft is Malta-based
Tomorrow is to do with EI, And it is Ryanair
snn20 is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2018, 21:53
  #108 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 123
Maybe a Cityjet unit obh Aer Lingus.. not to malta...
harriewillem is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 14:07
  #109 (permalink)  

Rebel PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Toronto, Canada (formerly EICK)
Age: 46
Posts: 2,818
Originally Posted by 840 View Post
I donít think thereís any great stream of Cork people up to Shannon any more. Because of the motorway link and very regular bus services, Dublin seems to be the second choice now. The same applies in reverse. Only really in North Cork and West Limerick are the two airports really competing these days. Thatís only a combined population of 150k.
For early flights it's still a haul to get to Dublin in time - even more so if you have to deal with the American formalities. The tunnel has made a huge difference in accessing Shannon but the Buttevant-Charleville situation needs sorting. Unfortunately the powers that be are insisting it be a motorway rather than decent relief roads. I came down from Shannon a few weeks ago - after 15 years in Canada the N20 south of Croom is largely unchanged. We were stuck in Charleville traffic for ages because there was an event in the town square. Ludicrous.
MarkD is offline  
Old 13th Sep 2018, 11:28
  #110 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,951
So with tomorrow today being yesterday, what was the news?
virginblue is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2018, 11:49
  #111 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: shannonIreland
Posts: 100
Cork-Budapest from 4th of April next year operating on Thursdays and Sundays, bookable on FR website.
snn20 is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2018, 13:14
  #112 (permalink)  
840
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ireland nowadays
Posts: 1,380
Seems to be a Cork-based aircraft on a Thursday and a Budapest-based one on an Sunday.

At the press conference, it was also announced that Ryanair will be training 450 pilots through Atlantic Flight Training.
840 is online now  
Old 14th Sep 2018, 13:47
  #113 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Leeds, UK & Cork, Ireland
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by 840 View Post
Seems to be a Cork-based aircraft on a Thursday and a Budapest-based one on an Sunday.

At the press conference, it was also announced that Ryanair will be training 450 pilots through Atlantic Flight Training.
The Thursday slot is currently used by BGY, so I wonder what will happen there. BGY isn't yet for sale, so it might not be coming back next year?

2019 is looking like a decent year for the airport with BUD, MLA, LTN all added, PVD will be back as well. There may be some more announcements from EI and EIR, I suppose. On the negative side BGY appears uncertain, but with Volotea to VRN ORK is still connected to the region.
brian_dromey is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2018, 18:15
  #114 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,166
''The ramp-up of Ryanair operations has not gone unnoticed by Aer Lingus.

The IAG-owned airline is planning to combat Ryanairís bid for Cork Airport domination by extending its own services in the coming months.

When asked by travel industry figures this week if it was committed to expanding in Cork, Aer Lingus chief executive Stephen Kavanagh was bullish,

We are the largest airline in Cork and we intend to maintain that position, Mr Kavanagh said.
He said Aer Lingus would be making announcements in the coming weeks focusing on expansion in mainly European cities.''

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...on-869126.html
Jack1985 is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2018, 19:00
  #115 (permalink)  
840
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ireland nowadays
Posts: 1,380
Itís hard to see how Aer Lingus can expand much without committing another based aircraft. And another based aircraft would represent a big expansion.

Ryanair have the big advantage that they can expand capacity by using other bases and then add an extra aircraft, knowing that they can transfer over a lot of the routes that had been operated from those other bases.
840 is online now  
Old 15th Sep 2018, 19:39
  #116 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,166
I have to wonder what Stobart's plans are with the 2 E-195's they are pulling out of Southend.
Jack1985 is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2018, 08:34
  #117 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Leeds, UK & Cork, Ireland
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by Jack1985 View Post
I have to wonder what Stobart's plans are with the 2 E-195's they are pulling out of Southend.
Its odd because some E195 routes continue into the summer. The E195s are relatively high cost aircraft and seem to be relatively troublesome. With their costs, Im not sure they are an ideal aircraft for Cork, but I think they are the right size.

Their apparent unreliability might be slightly skewed as one poster seems to take great joy reporting the smallest delay. I wonder if Stobart might sell their Southend flights through Ryanair - like Air Malta now do, I can't see them offering flights in their own right if the flyBe franchise ends.
brian_dromey is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2018, 09:45
  #118 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,608
Originally Posted by brian_dromey View Post
Its odd because some E195 routes continue into the summer. The E195s are relatively high cost aircraft and seem to be relatively troublesome. With their costs, Im not sure they are an ideal aircraft for Cork, but I think they are the right size.

Their apparent unreliability might be slightly skewed as one poster seems to take great joy reporting the smallest delay. I wonder if Stobart might sell their Southend flights through Ryanair - like Air Malta now do, I can't see them offering flights in their own right if the flyBe franchise ends.
But Air Malta offer flights in their own right - Ryanair is just one of the booking channels. Itís not as though Air Malta has become a Ryanair franchisee or anything. Stobart could well sell their SEN flights through Ryanair (though itís hardly a material contribution to revenue for Ryanair, so Iím not sure whether they would be interested) but Stobart would still have to be ďoffering flights in their own rightĒ.
Cyrano is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2018, 17:40
  #119 (permalink)  
840
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ireland nowadays
Posts: 1,380
If an E195 was moved to Cork, youíd think itís biggest use to Stobart would be on MAN followed by BHX. It could create extra capacity and shorter sector times on a couple of business friendly routes where yield might help offset the operating costs. Itís hard to think of which new European routes would suit. AMS or CDG at higher frequency in an E195 would work, but canít see Aer Lingus going for they are profitable in house and would mean feeding a ln IAG competitor hub.

Youíd think BGY shouldnít be in too much trouble considering the loads and what the yields appear to be (guessing from the fares charged). It is, of course, a significant base with plenty of scope to operate a rotation. However, route supports have run out, so that does reduce profits.
840 is online now  
Old 16th Sep 2018, 20:50
  #120 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,146
FAO is on sale at new times for 2019 and they have not included the W to SNN in schedules, AGP is partly on sale but current indications are SNN-FAO/AGP may be axed (on sale ex DUB/ORK/BHD). If that is correct thats an extra 7 (6 hour +) rotations.

LX, AF, IB, DY, FR, EI, V7 - daa have really turned the screws on Shannon.
EI-EIDW is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.