Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Manchester-2

Old 23rd Jan 2019, 08:52
  #2721 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 606
Luxury new terminal



50? If that includes airport parking, 'free buffet', fasttrack type service then that's a bit cheap?
Betablockeruk is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 09:26
  #2722 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,427
I'd be amazed if it is anywhere near 50 - maybe add another zero?
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 09:41
  #2723 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: In front of a computer
Posts: 1,860
maybe add another zero?
Doesn't matter - the Wilmslow/Prestbury/Mottram St Andrew brigade will be all over this from day 1
ETOPS is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 09:49
  #2724 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by roverman View Post
I don't have access to the what connections are being made generally, only the numbers of transfer pax on particular flights. The Jet - Virgin thing is common knowledge due to the sheer volumes and the arrangements which have been made in T2 to transfer between these two carriers.

Someone posted above that Jet was a B777-200 today. I think they mean Ethiopian, Jet has no MAN flight on a Tuesday.
What are the arrangements? Have they made it so there is a proper connection process now at Manchester?
boredintheairport is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 11:59
  #2725 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 138
Looks like the new luxury terminal could be positioned in the newly fenced off area to the front of the RVP? If so, it won't cause a problem with the existing buildings but will block off the view from the mounds and car park etc.

The reason for that area being fenced off has been kept quiet so far, so it makes you wonder.
Trav a la is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 18:03
  #2726 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 2
New PremiAir Terminal

Indeed it does appear as though it will be positioned next to the RVP - which will no doubt affect the views afforded from the viewing area.

It will be interesting to see how many pax make use of this new facility. There is an article in the MEN regarding this new terminal.
JerseyAero is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2019, 08:22
  #2727 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Luton
Posts: 45
Might be comparing apples with oranges airport-wise, but the similar private terminal offering at Los Angeles is USD3,000 one-way for an international flight for a single passenger (but up to three complimentary companions can travel with lead passenger) AND a membership fee of USD4,500 per annum.

GBP50 sounds too good to be true (and is)
If you say so is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2019, 09:06
  #2728 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manchester - EGCC
Posts: 12
Is there any more details on where this is exactly being built? I know it's going to be near RVP but is it actually going to block the viewing points from the mounds?
MattGarner is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2019, 10:07
  #2729 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Where the next project takes me
Posts: 134
Harking back to the old name for Manchester Airport - Ringway - this will be the closest ever terminal building to the centre of the old Ringway village (what's left of it)

Would I use it? Not sure - the downside would be the drive over to the plane, getting out into the cold and rain and up the steps at the side of the airbridge - nothing glamorous about that. Mind you not everything connects to an airbridge - although on the other hand most of the premium flights that would attract premium customers do. So in that respect it's a form of glorified 'bussing' out to the aircraft which is one of my pet hates.
I guess the idea is similar to the LH service at FRA and MUC which I had the pleaseure of once - no great shakes frankly.
FFMAN is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2019, 16:36
  #2730 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 606
Originally Posted by MattGarner View Post
Is there any more details on where this is exactly being built? I know it's going to be near RVP but is it actually going to block the viewing points from the mounds?
There's allegedly someone from PremiAir camped in the 'main building' at the RVP with a plan .
Betablockeruk is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2019, 18:40
  #2731 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eas Anglia
Age: 60
Posts: 464
Do we know where they will source the drivers from. I would think you need people with a fair degree of responsibility who understand the road system layout and exceptional customer service skills.

Will these be employed by MAG ? I presume so.

Surely it would be unwise to contract in a 3rd party taxi company where drivers can swap and change.
Navpi is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2019, 09:40
  #2732 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by Navpi View Post
Do we know where they will source the drivers from. I would think you need people with a fair degree of responsibility who understand the road system layout and exceptional customer service skills.

Will these be employed by MAG ? I presume so.

Surely it would be unwise to contract in a 3rd party taxi company where drivers can swap and change.
Strongly suspect third party taxi company wouldn't be allowed anywhere near this. They would surely have to receive full airside safety briefing, all the risks of aircraft, jet engines and other vehicles, how to talk to the controllers, radio etc.

Who they would be contracted through, I don't know. But they would surely be well trained and specialised to the job. As for outstanding customer service skills? This is Manchester...
boredintheairport is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2019, 10:34
  #2733 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manchester - EGCC
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by MattGarner View Post
Is there any more details on where this is exactly being built? I know it's going to be near RVP but is it actually going to block the viewing points from the mounds?
Developments at RVP – Plans were released by MAG on 23rd January for the construction of a new Executive Terminal (known as PremiAir) . The new Terminal will be located on the site of the Runway Visitor Park (RVP) where the two round viewing mounds are currently situated. Construction work will commence immediately in order that the Terminal can open for business this Summer. The RVP will remain open throughout the works and in the future.

The RVP Manager will be attending the TAS Social Evening (GMP) on Monday 28th January to deliver a short presentation about the works and answer any questions. The TAS Social evening is held at the Concorde Restaurant at the Runway Visitor Park and commences at 20.00hrs.

From the TASManchester site.
MattGarner is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2019, 10:59
  #2734 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 606
Originally Posted by MattGarner View Post
Developments at RVP Plans were released by MAG on 23rd January for the construction of a new Executive Terminal (known as PremiAir) . The new Terminal will be located on the site of the Runway Visitor Park (RVP) where the two round viewing mounds are currently situated. Construction work will commence immediately in order that the Terminal can open for business this Summer. The RVP will remain open throughout the works and in the future.

The RVP Manager will be attending the TAS Social Evening (GMP) on Monday 28th January to deliver a short presentation about the works and answer any questions. The TAS Social evening is held at the Concorde Restaurant at the Runway Visitor Park and commences at 20.00hrs.

From the TASManchester site.
Thanks. Wonder if they've considered sight lines..... (I don't actually know why I wasted time typing that).

Let's cut to the chase. How long before there is a low cost Ryanair terminal or an extended PremiAir terminal with 'exec' stands in place of the RVP?

Betablockeruk is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2019, 11:36
  #2735 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: stockport
Posts: 151
I thought that there are plans to move RVP to southside anyway
chaps1954 is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2019, 17:49
  #2736 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manchester - EGCC
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by chaps1954 View Post
I thought that there are plans to move RVP to southside anyway
I don't think there has been any hard proof of such claims and if there were, I would have thought now would have been the best time to announce that considering they are building on part of the RVP.
MattGarner is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2019, 10:31
  #2737 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eas Anglia
Age: 60
Posts: 464
Originally Posted by boredintheairport View Post
Strongly suspect third party taxi company wouldn't be allowed anywhere near this. They would surely have to receive full airside safety briefing, all the risks of aircraft, jet engines and other vehicles, how to talk to the controllers, radio etc.

Who they would be contracted through, I don't know. But they would surely be well trained and specialised to the job. As for outstanding customer service skills? This is Manchester...

That seems a bit elaborate, yes a knowledge of the road layout, hazards etc, but I would have thought use of the road system is all that is required once full training is given ?

Numerous vehicles use this without reference to radio etc ?



Last edited by Navpi; 27th Jan 2019 at 15:21.
Navpi is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2019, 11:07
  #2738 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England
Posts: 919
It barely takes an afternoon to sit through airside driver training & the multiple choice exam.
750XL is offline  
Old 29th Jan 2019, 19:20
  #2739 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Manchester
Posts: 27
I was always under the impression that we would be getting a new Terminal 2 but from this mock-up it seems that it's just the new T2 attached to the old T2?


LFC22 is offline  
Old 29th Jan 2019, 21:16
  #2740 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ainsdale
Posts: 1,640
Originally Posted by LFC22 View Post
I was always under the impression that we would be getting a new Terminal 2 but from this mock-up it seems that it's just the new T2 attached to the old T2?

The Old T2 Building is staying and will indeed be attached to the new building in some places.
MKY661 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.