Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southend-2

Old 14th Jun 2018, 09:01
  #1581 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: southern spain
Posts: 1,746
Send an E195 to Carlisle to do sunshine routes - I am completely lost for words!
compton3bravo is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 09:03
  #1582 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 774
Originally Posted by compton3bravo View Post
Send an E195 to Carlisle to do sunshine routes - I am completely lost for words!
I bet he wasn't being serious?
tophat27dt is online now  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 09:06
  #1583 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by BA318 View Post
13 new routes: Alicante (5 wkly), Barcelona Reus (2 wkly), Bilbao (4 wkly), Brest (2 wkly), Corfu (2 wkly), Cluj (3 wkly), Dublin (2 daily), Faro (5 wkly), Kosice (3 wkly),

Malaga (5 wkly), Milan Bergamo (4 wkly), Palma (4 wkly) & Venice (4 wkly)

I wonder if we'll see Flybe (Stobart) change some routes now these have been announced. 3 based aircraft is good for SEN though.
The DUB (2 daily) will impact Flybe on that route but not sure there is demand to help both carriers operate the route simultaneously. Schedule, total ticket price, and overall customer service and experience will be significantly important.
mik3bravo is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 09:06
  #1584 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 692
Originally Posted by asdf1234 View Post
With the existing cap on ATMs I think the airport is constrained by a capacity of circa 10m pax. As the new FR deal is projected to increase pax numbers to 5m I can see no capacity issues. Yes the terminal might get crowded and pax might not rate their experience as highly as they do now, but that won't affect the number of pax using SEN. If the flights are there at the right price, the pax will come. After all, just look at Luton, a miserable pax experience but fully utilised by 18m pax.

Hats off to SEN for attracting FR. Fingers crossed it works out for the airport and the wider Group who absolutely need the Aviation division to stop being a drain on Group funds.
Apologies if I am not reading this correctly but,
The FR deal appears to be 5 Million Pax over five years, i.e. 1 MIllion per year so as such it isn't projected to increase pax to 5 Million , only help SEN achieve that figure.
SEN should reach over 2 Million by 2019/2020 but presumably they are still going to need much more to get to 5 Mil?

Interesting times ahead at boardroom level for Stobart, will watch closely!
Falcon666 is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 09:12
  #1585 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 478
I wonder what the surrounding residential property market prices might do as air traffic volumes begin to rachet upwards? One to track.
mik3bravo is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 10:46
  #1586 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: southend on sea
Posts: 93
I wonder if easy will remove the 4th jet again now this announcement has been made ?

Last edited by fatmed; 14th Jun 2018 at 10:47. Reason: Typo
fatmed is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 11:09
  #1587 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Daws Heath Essex
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by mik3bravo View Post
I wonder what the surrounding residential property market prices might do as air traffic volumes begin to rachet upwards? One to track.
It is possible they may firm up. Airports generate employment and therefore a demand for homes. Ryanair state they will create 750 jobs, we shall see. There are plenty of airport sustained properties around west London, Gatwick and even Stansted. Should one of those airports close I think the collapse of employment would greatly outweigh the peace and quiet
effect on property values.
Planespeaking is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 11:48
  #1588 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: essex
Posts: 557
you only have to look at the property prices in BISHOP STORTFORD to see what a busy airport like STANSTED can do to house prices ( rental & sales )
mikkie4 is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 11:52
  #1589 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 871
Originally Posted by mik3bravo View Post
The DUB (2 daily) will impact Flybe on that route but not sure there is demand to help both carriers operate the route simultaneously. Schedule, total ticket price, and overall customer service and experience will be significantly important.
What other airport could offer 100,000 pax pa as a golden hello? And it's not necessarily damaging to Stobart, remembering the reason they expanded their Flybe franchise so dramatically was to move SEN forward, which was stagnating at the time with a total lack of success attracting new operators.
DC3 Dave is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 12:43
  #1590 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Westcliff-on-Sea
Age: 74
Posts: 281
If an E195 does become available.........Scandinavian routes? Billund used to be ok. I heard at the time that Maersk only upped sticks and left because they were fed up with Southend council promising this, that and the other in the way of improvements with nothing actually materialising. Don't know if that's correct but it's what I heard. Surely there are plenty of Scandinavian routes worth trying?
SEN Observer is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 13:19
  #1591 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Essex
Posts: 999
Southend used to be full of Scandinavian airliners flying in from Malmo and Oslo especially - Fred Olsen, BRAATHENS, Sterling, Polaris and many more. No reason why it can't be again.
Barling Magna is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 13:55
  #1592 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 774
Originally Posted by Barling Magna View Post
Southend used to be full of Scandinavian airliners flying in from Malmo and Oslo especially - Fred Olsen, BRAATHENS, Sterling, Polaris and many more. No reason why it can't be again.
Happy Days !!
tophat27dt is online now  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 14:14
  #1593 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Essex
Posts: 999
LOT Polish Airlines have announced a new service into LCY from Warsaw. I'd have thought this could have been a useful airline for SEN to court.
Barling Magna is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 14:23
  #1594 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 37
Posts: 992
Originally Posted by Barling Magna View Post
LOT Polish Airlines have announced a new service into LCY from Warsaw. I'd have thought this could have been a useful airline for SEN to court.
Why? The convenience of LCY is the routeís USP, LO canít compete on price with Wizz/Ryanair.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 14:40
  #1595 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Essex
Posts: 999
True, Wizz Air would have been a better match, but Warsaw and other Polish destinations are missing from SEN's network at the moment. No reason why a legacy airline can't survive alongside lo-co airlines provided they choose their destinations carefully.
Barling Magna is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 15:02
  #1596 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,609
Former CEO Andrew Tinkler fired from Stobart board, company to launch legal proceedings "imminently": City AM
Cyrano is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 18:58
  #1597 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 409
FR to deliver 1m extra pax

Originally Posted by Falcon666 View Post


Apologies if I am not reading this correctly but,
The FR deal appears to be 5 Million Pax over five years, i.e. 1 MIllion per year so as such it isn't projected to increase pax to 5 Million , only help SEN achieve that figure.
SEN should reach over 2 Million by 2019/2020 but presumably they are still going to need much more to get to 5 Mil?

Interesting times ahead at boardroom level for Stobart, will watch closely!
Thank you for pointing that out. FR fights will generate up to 1m pax per annum starting summer 2019. Stobart have said that they expect 2m pax by Feb 2019 so maybe there is another carrier announcement imminent?
asdf1234 is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 19:03
  #1598 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 409
Boardroom disputes

As reported earlier here is the text of the board announcement:

Board change

The Company announces that, following the receipt of comprehensive legal advice, it has today served notice on Andrew Tinkler, summarily terminating his employment with the Stobart Group. Mr Tinkler will cease to be a director with effect from today's date.

The Company will also be issuing legal proceedings imminently against Mr Tinkler for, amongst other things, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.

The Company will be writing to shareholders shortly to provide them with further information on the situation, including its concerns that Mr Tinkler and his associates are attempting to secure control of the Company.

Warwick Brady, CEO of Stobart Group, said: "Mr Tinkler's actions, particularly in recent days, have threatened to destabilise the Company and severely impacted my ability and that of my team to manage the business on a day to day basis and deliver the agreed strategy. This is against the interests of all of our shareholders."

Seems unfair that the directors can act against the founder of the company in such a callous way however it is perfectly legal for them to do so. Will this affect the airport? Who knows?
asdf1234 is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 19:13
  #1599 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cheshire
Age: 40
Posts: 212
Originally Posted by asdf1234 View Post
As reported earlier here is the text of the board announcement:

Board change

The Company announces that, following the receipt of comprehensive legal advice, it has today served notice on Andrew Tinkler, summarily terminating his employment with the Stobart Group. Mr Tinkler will cease to be a director with effect from today's date.

The Company will also be issuing legal proceedings imminently against Mr Tinkler for, amongst other things, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.

The Company will be writing to shareholders shortly to provide them with further information on the situation, including its concerns that Mr Tinkler and his associates are attempting to secure control of the Company.

Warwick Brady, CEO of Stobart Group, said: "Mr Tinkler's actions, particularly in recent days, have threatened to destabilise the Company and severely impacted my ability and that of my team to manage the business on a day to day basis and deliver the agreed strategy. This is against the interests of all of our shareholders."

Seems unfair that the directors can act against the founder of the company in such a callous way however it is perfectly legal for them to do so. Will this affect the airport? Who knows?
How exactly is it unfair to act against him if as they have said he is indeed breaking rules? Just because he has been there a while doesn't mean he is untouchable or immune from repercussions. All in all the share price rose on this news as soon as it was released so can only be good for the airline surely.
rowly6339 is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 19:24
  #1600 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Daws Heath Essex
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by asdf1234 View Post
As reported earlier here is the text of the board announcement:

Board change

The Company announces that, following the receipt of comprehensive legal advice, it has today served notice on Andrew Tinkler, summarily terminating his employment with the Stobart Group. Mr Tinkler will cease to be a director with effect from today's date.

The Company will also be issuing legal proceedings imminently against Mr Tinkler for, amongst other things, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.

The Company will be writing to shareholders shortly to provide them with further information on the situation, including its concerns that Mr Tinkler and his associates are attempting to secure control of the Company.

Warwick Brady, CEO of Stobart Group, said: "Mr Tinkler's actions, particularly in recent days, have threatened to destabilise the Company and severely impacted my ability and that of my team to manage the business on a day to day basis and deliver the agreed strategy. This is against the interests of all of our shareholders."

Seems unfair that the directors can act against the founder of the company in such a callous way however it is perfectly legal for them to do so. Will this affect the airport? Who knows?
Fairness doesn't come into it, but legality does. Once this is resolved then perhaps Stobart will be perceived by the market and shareholders as less than a cowboy outfit and more a serious multi million pound business.
Planespeaking is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.