Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > African Aviation
Reload this Page >

Conversion of a South African Pilots licence to another country

African Aviation Regional issues that affect the numerous pilots who work in this area of the world.

Conversion of a South African Pilots licence to another country

Old 31st Dec 2013, 06:23
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South Africa
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conversion of a South African Pilots licence to another country

With an South African ATPL is it possible to fly in Asia and Middle East? What are the requirements for the conversion?

I am about to start my license at a flight school in Cape Town and want to know with this license would it be recognized outside of South Africa?
Szeller is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2013, 16:09
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Age: 79
Posts: 1,086
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some flight schools offer the choice of an SA or EASA course;
In either case you will have issues converting your licence somewhere in the world so you should do your research before deciding.
What licences are accepted by the countries where you intend to fly ?.
The Ancient Geek is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2013, 17:42
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,780
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is fairly easy to convert an EASA licence into just about any other ICAO licence - all that is generally required is to take a single multi-choice exam with the new authority and sometimes but not always take a skills test.

However, to convert another ICAO licence into an EASA licence is much more difficult - almost without exception you have to follow a prescribed course of study (expensive) then take several multiple choice exams, and then take at least one, if not two skills tests.

So if you are sure that you are going to pursue a career outside of SA, and have an opportunity to do an EASA licence in SA at similar cost to an SA licence, then take the EASA option.
Trim Stab is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2013, 20:03
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 285
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An EASA license is only required if you want to work for an EU AOC holder - or to fly on any EU-reg airframe...

As long as your goal is the Middle-East, Africa or Asia, an SA license is just as good in my opinion, especially if you are from SA and you are about to get a validation (subject to the validity of your original license and medical) in a foreign country .

Just makes things easier by skipping an EU ATO or examiner or the EU at all for your yearly LPC, by rather doing it in SA.

I can say that i had a way more pleasant time dealing with the SAACAA for a few years than a few EU CAAs...
booze is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.