PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Direct Entry Commands (merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2003, 14:23
Reverend Doctor Doug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max
You hit the nail on the head.

While your management can read this thread and see how you EK boys are so happy, and how you continue to encourage throngs of wannabes to jump on the bandwagon, why on gods earth would they ever improve your terms voluntarily??? Absolutely no need!

I am constantly amazed by the continual ranting of a few here who claim that getting a job with EK is akin to winning the lottery, and moving to Dubai is like a trip to paradise.

Both statements are far from the truth.

You will also find that most of the drivers here have come from jobs that were less attractive than EK. That is a far cry from saying that EK is great. It is just better than their alternative.

Make no mistake, I am one of those people. The difference is that I am fully aware that we are underpaid on two counts. Firstly we are flying the biggest and newest twins in the world, on long haul routes, for well below the going rate for an "established" airline, and secondly we are living in the Middle East.

People should be clear that whilst Dubai is by far the safest and most cosmopolitan city in the Gulf region, it is still only a stones throw from all the breeding grounds of recent troubles. That should be reflected to some degree in ones pay packet. I don't believe that it is.

So in a nutshell, the guys that are here are happy because it is (generally) the best offer they could get, but I strongly suspect that in order to entice an experienced 340 guys away from a good job, they will need to pay well above our first year captains salary. If they don't, I would say that they are unlikely to get any candidates that would represent a better choice than upgrading our F/O's

Cop U Later

The Rev