PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2017, 00:19
BRDuBois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've wavered on what they might have been attempting. A pilot friend said the plane was doomed to hit, given the aileron deflection. But the rudder can easily counter that aileron, at least per my sim runs. I've phrased it as trying to moderate a descent, trying to at least manage a belly landing. My latest sim runs tell me the 35 degree bank is a highly transient state, and at their speed it should have been easily manageable even with the ailerons still stuck at three degree deflection.

My take on it at this point is that they were descending to keep from stalling, which they would have felt in the higher bank angle. As they got the bank reduced, the danger of stall would have dropped to nothing. So they were trading height for speed when they needed to, and were transitioning to level flight and climbing right about the point they hit the high tension lines. This is what my flight recreation shows.

The point is, they were not trying to do a belly landing, they were trying to stay in the air. It merely LOOKS like a belly landing gone bad, because they ran out of altitude, possibly exacerbated by hitting the power lines.