PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 15:34
clamchowder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Denti
A pilot shortage means better T&Cs as airlines actually fight for pilots. That is not happening in Europe. In fact, Lufthansa mainline just signed a new CLA deal where the total T&Cs shrink by up to 15% for the next 5 years and that completely gives up their scope clause.
FYI Ryanair and EasyJet are in the top 5 largest airlines in Europe and have had great increase in Ts and Cs this year - take home pay mainly. I understand Jet2 has just been given some very nice increases in pay and Monarch before they got canned.
Just depends what you interpret as better Ts and Cs.

I don't know details of the Lufthansa reduction. If its just based on reducing their pension to Contribution instead of Benefit, that happens to all career airlines (Aer Lingus, Alitalia, BA and TUI) because the Benefit pension model is unsustainable. Personally, I do not count that as reduction in terms indicative of pilot supply.

My opinion - It hasn't been so easy to get a jet job in Europe since before the Americans gave multiple mortgages to strippers and Brown sold the Gold in a trough.

Last edited by clamchowder; 16th Jan 2018 at 20:01.