PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should we laugh or cry? Government pays Microsoft £5.5m to extend Windows XP support
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 10:09
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I was given a big Dell that had been working on XP. It was in a case that I would have died for when I made AutoCAD workstations. You know, just to impress the customers. Phenomenal bit of engineering.

Anyway, when I fixed the faults, XP worked astonishingly well on the Pentium Quad - a chip with more heat sinking and plumbing than I'd ever seen. I took a fancy to the little-used Hitachi 7200 rpm drives, but concluded at 13 years old, the heat they generate was an indication of their worth in the modern world. I gave the lot away.

I have two laptops that I can't load W10 on - Despite being an i7, Sony won't write the drivers having sold the Vaio name to a group of investors. (that was direct from my contact in Sony.)

They run well on W7, but I miss some of the 10 toys. Also, the updates have to be done via a method I learned on How To Geek and it's a bit of a fiddle.

I used to love Sony, but after they replaced my TV's LIGHT ENGINE with an offering with plastic lenses, I knew the end was nigh. Just plain deception, for some, anyway. When the tekkie saw me looking at the pixels with a loupe, he probably thought I was mad - until he learned the truth. $2,500 part. I guess Sony panicked.