PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2017, 11:11
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 154 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jack schidt
With cockpit monitoring systems and emails that state “this can no longer be tolerated”, both points lead to pilots continuing to satisfy those in the ivory tower while enshrouded in fear that this might be their last flight.

If pilots weren’t worried about the constant issue of ensuring that as PF, button pushing is in the right sequence, at the right time, and as PM, checking the PF’s sequence against the chart, then they both would have had more time to look outside the window. I truly believe that my colleagues, who are known to be competent pilots, were more engrossed with compliance to an infrequently flown procedure than to look up and fly the plane. A typical case of “operating buttons to meet parameters” and not “flying” a descending curved approach visually, simply done by looking out.

These pilots would have successfully flown hundreds of descending “finals base turns” before this. I would also state (I guess) that they had flewn this approach less than the fingers on 1 hand if at all.

More and more, recent aviation has become the norm for pilots to be operators of company desk monitored procedures (with consequences) and not allowed to just fly the plane.

As a result of this incident, another new procedure and callout has been created. The current intercept from above has also been revised which potentially will lead to further issues and a TCAS event on the G/A.

Further procedures and more complications will lead to further incidents, simplification is what is required.

Happy Christmas to one and all, abandon the net for the next 10 days and enjoy real conversation.

Jack
Jack...I have not seen the email to which you refer...but I can guess at its tone. Im wondering.."what can no longer be tolerated"? Letting Pilots be Pilots and fly aeroplanes? Pilots being "heads down" close to the ground..pushing buttons hoping that the FMC will do what its asked?...or the BS that flows from the Bouncy Castle in a continuing effort justify their positions ( What ever Sky Pixie they believe in..help them) ?

When I left, almost 3 years ago..I did not think the wheels could come off much more..but they have. Burnt one 777...tried to park a couple of A380s in a suburb or two..plus numerous other "events".

What the hell is going on..?