PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposed wind farm impacts Cobden ALA future
Old 21st Dec 2017, 18:50
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan around
To keep my temperature down at least quote your sources and the date when it was first published .....

There are plenty of people properly qualified that can present the true picture.

• Large wind turbines are almost silent and rotate so slowly (in terms of revolutions per minute) that they are rarely a bird strike hazard.
Rutan, here's some well qualified sources for you:

https://stopthesethings.com/2014/12/...turbine-noise/

Wind farm neighbours have greater risk of health problems: Australian study | Wind Concerns Ontario

Information | Waubra Foundation

Personally I don't need the research, I know just how polluting and noisy these things are, and how expensive it is to pursue a court case to deal with them. There is no free lunch, and the real cost to the environment of wind turbines is all too often overlooked.

The statement 'almost silent and rotate so slowly' demonstrates that the writer has utterly no understanding of the wider industry and the issues, nor even of simple maths. There are many commercial turbines that rotate quite quickly. For those that don't the blades are often quite long and so the rotor tip speed, just as in an aeroplane propellor can be quite significant, the outcome of this of course is aerodynamic noise pollution.

While in the case of aeroplanes this noise can be temporarily annoying to some it is generally a passing thing, but with wind turbines (aka noise generators) it can go on for days without end. The end effect of this, along with the visual pollution, can be quite significant and severely detrimental to local's quality of life and environment.

FP.