PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hobart accident
Thread: Hobart accident
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2017, 15:35
heliduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the AS350 & have done run on landings with hydraulics off during check rides every 6 months for years now. I must say that even at -20 degrees OAT you sweat your arse off keeping everything under control, as mentioned it can be done & has been done repeatedly but I agree with the ADF report, unacceptable control forces. Unfortunately, as with any manufacturer, money is only invested in R&D when the sales drop off or the FAA forces them to, the AS350 is so good in most other areas that people will keep buying it even if you couldn’t train for hydraulic emergencies. Similar scenario to the old auto to touchdown vs powered recovery technique argument, if the liklihood of having a hydraulic failure is so low that it makes the liklihood of a crash during training the highest risk, should we train all the way to a run on landing or turn the hydraulics back on a few feet from the ground? I think we should keep training to a run on landing, but my daughter would probably agree with Rogers girls that we should not.