PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hobart accident
Thread: Hobart accident
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2017, 23:58
Hughesy

First training flight at a pretty decent company whom I worked for when I first went to Canada back in 2006.
It was a B1 Squirrel.
When we went to do a HYD off landing, the check and training guy said he wanted me to touch down on the piano keys. Ok I said. Thinking thats where he wanted me to run it on from. A target to aim for.
On short finals the conversation went like this.
Him "your going to overshoot"
me "No I'm not, I'm going to touch down on the piano keys and run it on" (like he asked)
Him "but your going to overshoot the PK"
me" I will as I'm running it on"
Him " you can't run it on, there is nowhere to run it on in the tundra, you need to hover first"

OK, so at this point I realised just what he wanted. For me to hover over the keys and land it with no forward speed.
So doing what the C and T guy asked, I started to slow down to try and come to a hover over the spot. I should have gone round at this point.
As I came to a hover, I was still tail low and was struggling to level the ship.
Next thing we are going backwards. With both of us now on the controls it was a fight between each other and the machine.
Next we spin 180deg and end up being nose low towards the ground. I tried to get had back by hitting the accumulator dump switch but nothing occurred!
Finally after a wild ride he hit the hyd test switch and we got hyd back!
A few wobbles later and everything was under control.
It was pretty bloody close to being a disaster.
He didnt say much at all.

From now on i ensure this doesn't happen to me again during my check rides, and also when I do C and T myself, the whole event is discussed prior and the hyd test is reset before the accumulator is dumped.

Scary ****