PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2017, 17:11
Exrigger

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I was line controller on 18 Sqn, when a couple of Harriers taxied by on their way for a sortie, I saw something hanging down adjacent to the Nose Leg on one and not on the other, phoned ATC and they stopped the aircraft taking off while it was looked at, after they had left I received an irate phone call from their line controller wondering what the hell I thought I was doing delaying the sortie and wasting their time, it would appear that occasionally the Harrier would taxi with the canopy unlocked and the thing hanging down was the ladder, how I was supposed to know that I have no idea, but did explain that had it not been that and something happened I would not be happy if I had ignored it, neither would they.

Another incident, I was just coming out of the Sparkasse bank on camp when a Harrier hover taxied passed ATC and dumped all its stores onto the grass, got back to 18 in time to see said Harrier with Landing Gear stuck up being landed onto air bags on large heavy duty trolleys, if memory serves me right.

We also found out that the Fire section did not have high enough ladders, or extensions to their CO2 fire extinguishers to put a burning hangar ceiling light out, and the usual method took a bit longer as new JENGO had correctly turned off the hangar electrical supplies, not normally done as standard practice was to take an extinguisher up to the overhead crane and manoeuvre to light in question and put fire out easily, left it there so work services could fix the light, this nearly turned into a bigger incident than it needed to. It also proved that opening all the hangar doors fans the flames, making the putting out a bit more urgent.