PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Satellite views down the ages...?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2017, 16:06
yellowtriumph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite views down the ages...?

A few years ago I was able to look at a particular point in London as a satellite image. I am pretty sure it was Google Earth and as part of the software package you could go back in time and view the same spot taken at various times/years. This facility now seems to have gone from the current version although I have been able to find an older version of Google Earth, downloaded it, and Bobs your uncle I can now see the place I’m interested in going back to 2007- there are about 5 images taken over the years. I’m pretty sure I used to be able to do the same thing with a software package from ‘Bing’ - but alas can’t see how to go back in time in that app. Does anyone know how to go back in time with the ‘Bing maps’ package or indeed know of any other free software packages that would allow me to do the same thing?

When I was able to do this on Google & Bing a few years back, their satellite images were taken at different times so I was able to build up a reasonable historical set of images for the place I am interested in between the two.

Of note perhaps at the place in London that I’m interested in, Google Earth actually had a very grainy ‘satellite’ image from 1945, I would obviously suspect that was sourced from some sort of conventional aerial sortie at the time. Thanks for any help or suggestions.