PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Use
Thread: Simulator Use
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2017, 15:54
rarelyathome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by airpolice
There seems to be an almost universal opinion in instructor circles, that home built simulators are bad.

Unsupervised use of any sim will of course reinforce and embed any small mistakes because you get away with them.

Just like the millions of pounds worth of full motion airliner sim, you will get more out of it if someone is watching you and checking your actions against a list. I was lucky enough to be able to persuade my wife to assist by watching and listening for various actions.

The staring at instruments is an old fashioned issue, easily avoided by use of photo realistic scenery and no instrument panel. Just "fly" the machine based on what you can see out of the window.

A simple key press will show/hide the panel and allow the student to plod along without the distraction of instruments and gauges.

I wonder how many of the instructors who are against the use of sims, have experience of the latest thing available to students.
Many of us. Staring at instruments is most certainly not an old fashioned issue. You seem to be challenging the experience that most of us have with students coming to the real world of flying from simulators. I can assure you that I’m not imagining the fixation with instruments and other poor habits. PPL level simulators have their place. They are good instrument procedural trainers and can help get your mind around RNAV. However, as you suggest, to get the most out of them at that stage of training you do need supervision, but with the greatest respect to your wife, from an instructor.