PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The next vertical lift military generation has arrived
Old 20th Dec 2017, 13:46
Lonewolf_50

Received 420 Likes on 262 Posts
I'll offer that the 2.75 Hydra rockets will be a common load (IR / laser guided 2.75s) and it occurs to me that you could rotate the prop rotors up 10-15 degrees (based on a bar napkin sketch with a pen) to avoid hitting self while still flying. I suspect that sort of thing will be part of the test plan as this particular version of tilt rotor matures. Baby steps.

I had also sketched out a weapons rack shaped like an elongated "C" with the open end facing the sliding doors. Slide doors open. rotate the mount out into the airstream. By the time it rotates though about 180 degrees, you end up with a forward firing weapon hanging under the centerline of the aircraft. Yeah, it's a bit of a Rube Goldberg device, but it permits two things: the bulk of the flight being flown clean with all weapons inside the aircraft, and a selectable munitions package that can be changed by the crewchief in flight. Mount the modules on rollers, whatever, and have one or two weapon choices to attach to that mount as one nears the engagement zone.

So much for the "back of the napkin" sketch.