PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - With Fortitude undergone the Rigorous Requirements
Old 20th Dec 2017, 07:29
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
O-D, on temps, on my first dip in '64 I had not been warned about footwear. It was so cold I kept my socks on. I spent all the time in the water worried that the sock would come off.

A Kiwi Nav, Rex Cording, was so quick he managed to inflate his dinghy before the pack was opened. It trapped his hand. The helpful staff left him as if for real. After a long time, it seemed, they threw him another dinghy. Temp was 4.

Next in '69, pure luxury, full goon suits and underwear even if not entirely waterproof. However to 10 degree rule was still only applicable if your tyoe has suits.

My next dip, around spring IIRC, as we were destined for Cyprus, was no suits. We were left for almost 3 hours as there was Purple Airspace and the chopper was late.

For the SS drill the following day our plotter, Frank Guard, craftily said we should experience suits as a contrast which would encourage us to demand them in future. As it happens, spring sprung, the sun shone, the seas smoothed and we paddled around, rafted the dinghies together and had fun, and pissed off the boat crew that tried to soak us.