PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2017, 06:51
BlockNotAvailable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
No. By removing the frequency boundaries and recommending pilots monitor and announce when flying in the airspace used for approach and departure from an airport the best situational awareness will occur .

Primarily because it is a simple system without complex dimensions and created frequency boundaries.

And it complies with the commonsense test.
I must be stupid. What area frequency do they broadcast on if they don't know which one they are on?
I don't hear them very often, but Rex and QL often will broadcast inbound. But not many else do. Sometimes you hear VFR announcing their location and intentions, but most VFR pilots don't use the area frequencies to broadcast, and most IFRs don't use it to call inbound on descent. I know they're out there, I can see them!!

Also if we were to provide ATC services to A012AGL, every single regional services controller would also need an approach rating (as well as currently a radar and procedural control ratings). For what benefit? We pass traffic and give suggestions based of IFR and known VFR traffic right? Wouldn't we use the same information to separate? To what? "You're there the same time as a medevac Flydoc, suggest reduce by 25kts to make some space" "Due medevac traffic, reduce by 25kts indicated" I mean whats the point in spending the money, when our job is to do our best to make OCTA traffic not hit. (Here's the real headline, we do that in CTA do with a different method.) It's not like VFRs are likely to respond to us in E (or G) 99% of the time anyway. TBH as much as we suggest, the pilots have to make their own decisions, and sometime they don't listen and I don't blame them. If I say you'll pass behind but they go down 1000 ft I don't blame them at all. Pilot's in charge. Also if lower CTA was introduced, by God you will be delayed. The CTA mindset kicks in and the 'one for mum' extra bits will be added in.