PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling approach
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2001, 12:09
Transition Layer

Wink

Centaurus,

You said - "If a relatively high circling MDA means that on base you would have to descend in order to ensure a stabilized approach - then stiff cheddar, you should not be carrying out a circling approach in the first place. Same thing with downwind descent."

Just curious if this is a company restriction or a personal limit you impose on yourself? As someone who is just about to begin their Instrument Rating I find this a valuable discussion.

As we all know, Jepp Australia Terminal para 3.11.3 says -

"...descent below the MDA may only occur when the pilot:
(a)...within circling area...
(b)...maintains specified vis...
(c)...maintains visual contact...
(c) by night or day, while complying with a,b and c, (at an altitude not less than MDA), intercepts a position on the downwind, base or final leg of the landing traffic pattern, and from this position can complete a continuous descent to the landing threshold, ... and maintains an obstacle clearance along the flight path not less than the minimum for the aircraft performance category until the aircraft is aligned with the landing runway."

I realise that it is impossible to see an unlit obstacle at night in crappy weather, but would the quoted spot heights suffice for this? i.e. spot height + 300'.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
TL

------------------
"Tears, crying, wish you'd never learnt to fly. Should have taken that job at the Council."