PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwich-2
Thread: Norwich-2
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2017, 13:35
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gilesdavies
Just been nosey and noticed the Norwich thread thought would throw in my pennies worth of thought...

Usually airports where passengers have to part with cash for services that are free elsewhere, usually leaves a bad taste in their mouths. Exactly the same at Luton where drop off fees are now applied, and gets a 1-2 star rating in SkyTrax year upon year, with the charge being the main moaning point.

It is interesting how Regional and City Airport's the operators on Norwich are happy to charge the Developement fee there, but not at any of their other portfolio of airports, which still see regular services, like Derry, Exeter and Bournemouth. Especially when airports like Bournemouth and Exeter have similar passenger numbers.

Norwich is quite a maintenance heavy airport, and would imagine there is a fair amount of revenue from that.

I like how the Development fee is not chargeable for Business Class or the upper tier frequent flyer members. A frequent flyer could buy the cheapest ticket, but still get the fee waived!

Has there been much in the way of improvements to the airport in recent years with this £10 fee being introduced, for example improved facilities?
In a word no.

Take a look at the rust on the supports over the entrance canopy in my previous picture. The security staff are so bored they treat every passenger with the full Stasi inspection.

As a pilot I used it years ago when it was council owned and a pleasure to visit.

Flying in there in a private helicopter is a waste of time not to mention the hassle.Easier to use nearby Sprowston Manor hotel where you get a VIP service.

The same applies to private fixed wing use so a GA airport best avoided.

I think the owners see the value in maintenance traffic, although with short term contracts this can be fickle, and the opportunity to exploit the area near the new ring road for a 100 acre business park.

The passenger numbers are never going to increase much beyond where they are and indeed a substantial amount of the movements are North Sea helicopters.

It is nigh on impossible to increase the runway length and a low cost high volume operator such as Ryanair is never going to arrive to boost the traffic.

In short it is a local airport mostly supported by offshore oil workers who can afford to pay the extortionate KLM fares to AMS.