PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scampton Airshow Binned
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2017, 07:06
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
The last time I saw a real, live Gloster Javelin fly was at an Open Day at 'Heaven in Devon' sometime in the late 1960s.....

Typical of many displays in those days - a varied static, a limited flying display and an emphatically military atmosphere. I remember being shown the cockpit of a Hunter by a very enthusiastic young pilot - and looking forward to the day when I might be in his shoes.

Entry was free for us as CCF cadets in uniform and we even had lunch in the Officers' Mess.

There needs to be less emphasis on the 'show' aspect and more on the 'at home'. Taxpayers are the RAF's shareholders and deserve to see what their money is paying for. Static Typhoon, Tornado, Atlas, C-17 and Voyager most certainly - although there'd be costs incurred arranging crash cover (no doubt these days there's a fluffier term for that).

Spotters with expensive cameras, beer guts wrapped in 'camo' waistcoats covered in badges unknown to any military pilot, dragging little aluminium step ladders can be a pain, but they are shareholders after all....

The genpub rarely sees the RAF these days - for example, there's hardly any low level flying these days compared to the past. The awful 'Spirit' nonsense at Abingdon was a dismal failure and yes, I do recall the excellent Abingdon 'At Home' days of the past. I also remember being very excited as a youngster at the last ever RAF Merryfield Open Day - I think it was in 1958, a few months after the station went on C&M. No doubt many other youngsters were motivated to join the RAF after such events.

This isn't just misty-eyed recall, the point is that the genpub deserve a proper military At Home Day. Not run by some third party either! It doesn't have to include high risk events, but it does need to commemorate 100 years of the Royal Air Force!