PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling approach
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2001, 15:01
stator vane

Black Dawn:

when i was with Asiana Airlines Nov 96-Mar 98, they had us gear down flaps 25 in the B737-400/500 on the circle before abeam the runway. i think on base, we went full flaps.
so many airlines and so many proceedures i get them confused sometimes.

i do honestly think that if you check four different airlines you will find 10 different ways to do the circle.

and we did quite a few into Pohang, Taegu, Kwangju and Cheju. before going there, all the circles i did was in a sim. there it was expected often.

all other questions aside, if the chief pilot wants me to circle at flaps 25, i will if i want to work there.

on one training flight to Pohang with good weather, on the downwind to base corner i started descending to shorten my circuit and as we were surrounded by mountains on the south and east while circling to land west, we ended up getting a good scenic turn amoungst the mountains. the training captain started yelling!! "Look!! the mountains!!!" as he was pointing in front on my face. i said, "Yeah, they're beautiful aren't they?"

we never lost sight of the runway nor the mountains and landed safely.

i passed the training.

though i admit that when i re-applied there last year they said no. it may have been also because i was very vocal about all the things i thought they were doing poorly.

so i have learned to say, "yes sir. thank you very muchee!" to the man with the pen in his hand, and then fly it the way it should be when he is gone.

but don't listen to me, i are just a peelot!