PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2017, 05:29
Rated De

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The signs are there, we’re just not seeing them. I wouldn’t be saying yes to or signing anything until I was sure of the lay of the land. Floodgates will open next year and until then, the airlines will be pushing for the lowest deal they can get from pilots.

Back yourselves, for goodness sake!!
I wholeheartedly agree. For decades careers, mine included were downtrodden with an adverse industrial bargaining system and an oversupply.

Whilst adversarial IR is still there ( at least in 4 weeks time-they get tired you know!), treating everything like a nail as a hammer is all they are, over supply has evaporated.

The signs are there, they are everywhere. This shortage is far bigger than any business cycle, hence they will deploy any leverage they have.

Having conversed with many pilots at Ryan air their fears are the same: They have an adversarial IR model, far worse than Australia, O'Leary openly denigrates them and you would not believe what happens to pilots and their tax affairs (rumoured) when they leave (not everyone though)
Only a few months ago, O'Leary chastised his pilots, over paid and all the rest. You know the same rubbish Olivia Wirth spewed out. Funny how O'Leary backed down.

He has no supply of pilots

Is America's airline industry headed for a major pilot shortage? | Fox Business

America Pilot Shortage Effect on Regional Flights, Ticket Prices | Fortune

Pilot shortage: 600,000 new pilots needed over the next 20 years - are pilotless planes the answer?

Management at major airlines have a problem; the paradigm has changed and for once, they are caught behind a demographic wave that will eventually, like Mr O'Leary cause them to back down, through gritted teeth I might hasten to add.

Last edited by Rated De; 19th Dec 2017 at 10:33.