PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2017, 22:44
BRDuBois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want it to end any particular way, though I understand people think I do. It's obvious the CAB got it wrong, and I want to know what happened. My goal is to come up with a scenario that survives criticism by apparently knowledgeable people and fits what facts we have or can reasonably deduce.

The significant bank is possible. In my document I suggested the plane was in a right bank due to the loss of part of the right wing. A bounce high enough to clear the lower trees, particularly on the north side of the crash path, is possible. Too soon to say, at this point.

If the wing spar could shift a pair of railroad tracks six to nine inches over a distance of twenty feet or whatever, I think it could take out a nontrivial tree trunk. The Constellation crash tests chopped phone poles. Beyond that, don't know about the tree damage. My working assumption is that the plane didn't hit them.

I've got a decent NWA paint job on the plane, so I can do some better illustrations for the next version. I'm working on additional vantage reconstructions to nail down locations on the map.