PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scampton Airshow Binned
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2017, 19:31
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas coupling
Living near Duxford, their airshows seem to be getting bigger and better. Some of the aircraft there are unique - never to be seen elsewhere.
May seems to be an air extravaganza with a mixed fleet and the September one is a one off - full of piston engined warplanes. And even if it rains - 2 of the biggest aviation museums in europe I would guess?
What's there not to like:
The price of tickets which are on par with RIAT? And you have to pay another fiver to get into the flightline to take close up photos of the iconic a/c. Hasten to add come midday, everyone back behind the line.

The food be it served in the cafe(s) at the IWM are expensive and tbh not exactly riveting

TBH IMHO, if we talking about museum or static - Duxford should be like Flying Bulls Hangar - 7 pristine, clean, fun and more importantly its FREE to walk around and close up to the exhibits (they all FLY and not museum pieces) bar a rope that goes around each a/c. If they need to take either the Stearman or the DC-6 out to fly - the security guards just rope off the area and ask the bystanders to politely stand aside or behind while said a/c is towed away.The ikarus restaurant is great along with the outside bar and grill (open in summer)inside. Not saying the price of food and drink at Hangar 7 is cheap but its value for money and excellent quality compared to Duxford cafe and restaurant and prices similar.

I apologize now if if this is coming across as IWM bash...I was never keen on it bar Flying Legends (I grew up around here)but more importantly it held Helitech for a decade!

cheers