PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MLAT trial at Dundee
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2017, 15:22
NorthSouth

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Back in the good old days of 2008 when ATSOCAS were being re-designed, one of the main issues was a concern to stop controllers offering what seemed like a radar service to traffic on a FIS, so that (mainly GA) pilots weren't lulled into thinking that someone else was doing the lookout for them.

Personally I don't think the reformulation into BS has done one iota to resolve that problem. I don't blame controllers for this - the ones that give you traffic info based on what they see on their radar are only trying to help. But it does reinforce the impression given to often inexperienced pilots that if there's a conflict out there, the controller will tell them about it.

Now, with this trial, we have the prospects of procedural controllers at Dundee (will they have to be re-trained as radar controllers?) using an ATM to "suggest" to pilots where they might look for conflicts. Again, I can see the good intentions behind this, but because it's still not a radar service, and it's in Class G, it could really muddy the waters about who's responsible for collision avoidance. I expect the CAA will look at that aspect very closely.

I also wonder how the Dundee controller (and I don't imply any criticism here) will cope with monitoring an ATM as well as looking out of the VCR to visually monitor traffic positions on the ground as well as in the air. Potential further dividing of attention.

Personally I reckon they should move the Leuchars radars to a spot that can better monitor the Dundee as well as Leuchars approaches, then move the Leuchars controllers to a new radar room at Dundee where they can do a proper Dundee Approach function as well as Leuchars App and LARS. HIAL could then charge them lots of rent for being there 24/7 in the off-chance that a Typhoon might want to divert to Leuchars.