PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2017, 00:53
BANANASBANANAS

Received 119 Likes on 59 Posts
I would love to be able to agree with what you just wrote Glofish but there is one big difference between the 2 professions you describe.

When I started flying many, many years ago, a wide body jet Captain held the same status as a Judge, a Consultant Surgeon etc and was treated as such.

Nowadays, with HR rather than pilots running airlines it is all about cost, and the financial and social status of those joining the wide body fleet now is deemed by many to be that of a blue collar worker, marginally better than a bus driver. Hardly surprising, therefore, that the attitude taken into the flight deck is, in most cases, but not all, consistent with the way people are treated.

Whenever there is an incident or an accident our elders and betters jump up and down and remind us of our very serious responsibilities and obligations. But when it's time for a pay rise or recruitment drive to try to mitigate the brutal and incessant fatigue, then we are just button pushers who live the high life. A half decent lawyer, I am told, would have little difficulty in building a sound corporate manslaughter case if the situation ever arose.

The people in red braces who run this industry need to first take a long hard look at themselves and start treating professionals with the respect and $ that they deserve before they start preaching about our responsibilities.