PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2017, 15:11
zero/zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact of the matter is that when “pilots were pilots” and did a whole lot of “pilot sh!t”, incidents and accidents still happened (arguably more so). Neither visually flying every approach, nor blindly following the magenta are the solution. There is a lot of great aids available In modern airliners; a smart pilot will understand and utilise all the techniques and procedures available to him to plan and execute a safe and efficient approach.

Similarly, any professional aviator knows that behind every bad event are a series of contributory and causal factors... it’s never as simple as blame the crew, the management, ATC, the met...(Swiss cheese model blah blah).

There is no doubt that EK have a potentially serious problem in how they select, train and manage their pilots. I’m not smart enough to know the exact solution to turn such a huge juggernaut around, but I do know that with the right people in key leadership positions it can be done. It wasn’t that long ago that QR was regarded a basket case... but a few years later they arguably have the best management and training of their pilots in the region (just a shame Doha is such a dump).

Just my $0.02