PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2017, 15:04
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My nephew has been aiming for a RAAF pilot career for many years. I spent many years as a RAAF pilot and I’m now flying with Qantas. Following in my footsteps it seems.

He was given a top 25% recommendation from flight screening earlier on this year. His HSC results came out on Friday and, as expected, he got a very good result.

What he wasn’t expecting was a phone call on Friday afternoon from the Navy offering him a pilot position for next years ADFA intake. It was a “take it or leave it” offer. Giving him till 1500 Friday to give his answer. He’s never shown any interest in the Navy and is not really interested.

He was told that all the RAAF courses were full and that if he didn’t take the Navy offer he’d miss out in ADFA next year.

My many years in the RAAF have given me a healthy scepticism of recruitment so this just doesn’t ring true to me. I’d suggest all services would have been waiting for the HSC results to be released before offers could be finalised. It just sounds like the Navy trying to secure strong candidates before the RAAF makes an offer.

Anyone care to offer an insight into the process or to enlighten me what’s at play here?