PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indemnity end will force out crucial workers – CASA change
Old 17th Dec 2017, 02:22
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
I have no idea about claims, but re. costs, it is negligible.

I discussed this once, with Bruce Byron, at that stage CASA had to negotiate a policy at Lloyds. CASA had to admit that premiums additional to cover all industry delegates under CAAP Admin 1, as opposed to just CASA employees who held a delegation was nil, zero, zip. Now that Comcare is the insurer, why would anything change??

The issue of withdrawing CAAP Admin 1 cover was/is largely doctrinal, the CASA "iron ring" opposing delegations to industry to perform tasks that were/are "CASA responsibilities". They were/are even more opposed to "taxpayer subsidies" to do jobs that are "rightfully theirs".

The fact is that professional indemnity insurance can vary from very expensive to not available at any price as soon as "aviation" is mentioned, and some states require registration of such as professional engineers, and compulsory PII. This has already resulted in the premature retirement of at least two "CAR 35" (21M) engineers. I am advised that PII cost recovery is a substantial part of the huge increases in costs brought about by the 21M system.

Tootle pip.

PS: The US and Australian situations are very different in that CASA can sue and be sued. While not impossible, it is very difficult, although not impossible, to sue the FAA (or any us Federal entity) and its delegates, and even if successful, even more difficult to be awarded damages. This is the result of US Federal legislation, an act with a name something like the "Federal Torts Damages Limitations Act".

Last edited by LeadSled; 17th Dec 2017 at 02:34.