PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAX transfer
Thread: LAX transfer
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2017, 00:22
ExSp33db1rd

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
So long as you don't arrive just after an A-380 with 500 + pax. on board who need to go through the foreign visitors immigration channels. i.e. American passport holders seem to move faster - you will have to queue to use a self-service passport processing machine, that prints a slip including a copy of your photograph, then queue again to have that accepted, and your passport stamped by a human. Unfortunately there never seem to be any "sterile" "airside" lounges where inbound pax. transferring to another International departure can avoid having to enter the USA, and of course if you are transfering to a domestic carrier you have no choice.

Baggage collection could be fairly easy, and there are "free" trolleys in the baggage arrival area. ( but not when trying to get one roadside when leaving, $5.oo cash or credit card needed for that, unless you are quick enough to pinch one from someone just releasing one ! )

LAX moves reasonably well, but departure TSA security agents are the most evil of any I have experienced anywhere, and half don't know their own rules, e.g. if you are over 75 there is no longer any need to remove ones' shoes, but the Female, Black, African American, Overweight ( no, I'm not being sexist, racist, or anti-fattty, just stating fact ) brusquely told me to take 'em off. I pointed to the sign granting me dispensation, but she ignored that, claiming that was for Domestic pax. and I was International ( I was, but she was wrong ). I contemplated suggesting that that meant that Domestic passengers could be shoe-bombers, but not International ones then ? but wisely decided to keep my mouth shut and not mention the B word. I reported her to a supervisor who admitted that she was wrong, but no apology of course.

Last visit I was denied a plastic tray, and told to put all my loose change and pocket items in my bag, ( this was for a new procedure that they were allegedly trialling, without warning, so I was not prepared ) I pointed out that there was no more room in my bag for all my crap, so told to just put it on to the belt unrestrained. Naturally a lot of it rolled around and created a stoppage of the belt. Not my fault. ( tip - don't be behind me through security, even Mrs. ExS. disowns me at LAX !)

I wear a totally cloth and plastic belt, no metal, not even the buckle, partly because I have a colostomy bag and this is less invasive against my bag and more comfortable for me. I tried to refuse to take it off, usually successfully, including showing a medical cert. describing my bag issues, but was denied, I was then told to raise my hands as I passed through the scanner, so shuffled through with my trousers around my ankles. I'm at an age where I don't care anymore, but was roundly criticised by the TSA for being unco-operative. I'm not, yet, on a no fly list, but I don't doubt that will occur eventually. I hate them. I wouldn't mind, but we all know that the Bad Boys will do precisely what they want to do precisely when they want to do it, it is all a monumental waste of time.

I think your connection time will be OK !

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 17th Dec 2017 at 07:00.