PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veterans To Be 'Formally Recognised With Official ID Cards'
Old 16th Dec 2017, 23:05
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
... but what would make you want to go back on your average RAF station?

Chap I know who formerly commanded a major operational station tried to organise a trip to the station for a coach load of former aircrew and groundcrew who had served there, to see what was currently going on. He thought it might involve a quick stop at the guardroom where he would hand a list of visitors in and maybe pick up a guide for the trip. No chance. Every member of the party would have to disembark and individually get issued with a pass, probably taking half an hour at least - this could not be done in advance. The restrictions placed on what could happen on the visit were such that in the end he thought - sod it, and scrapped the whole idea.

I know I have previously stated that I don't think my former service should entitle me to any enhanced status in the civilian world, but when a recently retired group captain gets no better treatment than a teacher bringing a bunch of schoolkids on a visit (which I did to St Mawgan when I was teaching) then I think something is wrong.

Incidentally last year I had a look at the station referred to above. I wanted to photograph their "gate guardian" which in fact wasn't clearly visible from the gate. I asked the armed guard if he would mind if I walked a few yards past him to get a decent view for the photo. I told him not to worry, I wouldn't try and get into the station. He said "I'm not worried, if you try that I'll just shoot you"

I think he was joking!