PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MLAT trial at Dundee
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2017, 19:57
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my aircraft I have 5 possible methods of picking up other traffic. 1: My Garmin 430 showing TIS info from the TXP which obviously doesn't work in the U.K. 2: A Xaon PCAS, which is pretty good but is limited to other aircraft being painted by radar and my unit then piggybacks on their transponder response to get a location fix, but the maker is now out of business and the unit is not supported. 3: My Garmin 660 panel mounted VFR gps displaying info being bluetoothed from the GDL 39 ADSB IN receiver of aircraft that are equipped with ADSB OUT via air to air. My IPAD displaying the same ADSB IN info sourced from the GDL 39 and presented in the Garmin Pilot app. 5: Flightradar24 on my IPhone or IPad via 4g connection, I have no idea how this one works but I assume there are some magic pixies that make it happen.

As you can see this is what the Yanks refer to as a clusterf&$k. Some don't work at all in the U.K. others work in a radar environment, others in a ADSB equipped setup. And if I want to go ADSB OUT I'd have to pay Garmin a pile of dough to get my 430 upgraded for WAAS and the transponder equipped for ES.

So if the equipment in this trial has the ability in terminal environments and coverage for procedural routes in uncontrolled airspace to identify aircraft with Mode A,C&S txps & ADSB equipped and present them all together on one screen AND provide me with a WASS receiver and ADSB OUT capability in a small glare shield mounted unit for a reasonable price I think they are onto a winner.

As for folk who don't have a transponder or have one and won't turn it on, I think they are being selfish especially with the cheap base model units that are available today.(sorry in advance Trev).

Edit to add: If you look at the new RNAV (GNSS) approaches for Dundee the 'missed' puts them out over the hills to the north at 3000ft (and potentially out of sight of Leuchars radar) , if I was a CAT pilot with a load of pax flying the missed for 27 my rear would be puckered up tighter than a badgers knowing there could be some VFR bimbling dip**** coming down the Strathmore Valley the opposite way at the same altitude in his Maule checking his Facebook messages, or worse flying along IMC not on a clearance.

Last edited by piperboy84; 16th Dec 2017 at 20:28.