PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Initial part of the TAF applicability for planning
Old 16th Dec 2017, 19:10
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Initial part of the TAF applicability for planning

I've been studiously reading up on planning minima and not sure if I understand it correctly. We've got this little chart that tells you whether or not an aerodrome is suitable for planning purposes (attached).

Say a TAF looks something like this (I made it up, but you get the idea):

EGKK 160500Z 1605/1705 01007KT 0050 FG OVC001 BECMG 1608/1610 CAVOK

If our flight was planned to land at 1200Z then obviously, in reality we'd expect it to be CAVOK. However looking into the planning applicability, can we consider this to be suitable or would we need a second alternate as the planning table says...

"The prevailing weather conditions forecast in the initial part of the TAF should be fully applied with the exception of the mean wind and gusts (and crosswind) which should be applied in accordance with..... "
Therefore is the FOG/Low Vis on the example forecast valid for the whole 24 hour period of the TAF to suit the planning rules?

To confuse things even further, the same table also says that
The Time period is valid from the start of the TAF validity up to the time of applicability of the first subsequent FM or BECMG, if no FM or BECMG is given, up to the end of the TAF validity period
So does that mean that the BECMG cancels out the Low Vis entirely from the planning stage?

I realise there is a difference between looking for the TAF for advice as opposed to interpreting it for flight planning, but I just want to clarify this as it seems pretty confusing.

The original planning table is attached for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TAFs.jpg (427.5 KB, 70 views)