PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MLAT trial at Dundee
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2017, 17:48
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dont overfil
If you have a working transponder it is now a legal requirement to have it switched on.

There are steps in place to equip most of the locally based aircraft that are not already equipped. The critical area is not massive and the locals are being briefed.

Cloudhound,
Trial starts officially 22nd December.
I must be a cynical old git.
Electronic conspicuity is a most excellent thing, yes.
But! Until every flavour of every device can see and be seen by every other flavour from commercial, military, bug smashers, gliders, microlights etc then these trials are, in my miserable opinion, no use to a large number of pilots.
Yes it will probably show all ADSB/mode S equipped aircraft to ATC or each other.
Will it reduce the number of mid airs? How many mid airs are there per month so we can gauge how successful this stuff is? Or is it like this can of Elephant repellent that I spray in my kitchen? It must work very well, I haven't seen an Elephant in here for years.
I don't have a transponder of any kind, I don't have room nor the price of one.
I will use a PAW unit,,,,only,,,,.
What gets up my nose is the number of radio frequencies that it is legal to be transmitting on in the same few square miles. "The microlight freq",,,"The glider freq",,,, "Parachute freq",,, Scottish, Perth, Fife, Leuchars, Safetycom, Dundee, Edinburgh, etc.
Can I have an "Emeraude freq" and talk to myself?
Rant mode to standby.